Associate Facade Engineer
Buro Happold's Hong Kong office is growing significantly following continued successes in the Asia Pacific Region. We have built the team with some talented engineers from across the Practice's global offices and who have been joined by some of Hong Kong's most talented engineers. After first establishing our Facades group in the Hong Kong office towards the start of 2010, we are now in a strong position to grow the team further and offer talented individuals an opportunity to join the team and be part of what is a very exciting period in the development of our Asia Pacific business.
This role represents an important development from one exclusively responsible for technical engineering and design work into one that starts to take on the wider issues of business and people management.
Associates will typically take responsibility for management of people, client and commercial issues as required by the Project Leader role. In this capacity you will represent Buro Happold internally and externally on behalf of your Group.
An Associate must be able to demonstrate a good standard of capability across most, and a developing standard of capability across the remaining Buro Happold Core Competencies – Creativity, Customer Focus, Collaboration and Teamwork, Commercial Focus, Technical Knowledge and Development and Leadership.
We are seeking someone with good English, who is capable of writing concise, clear reports. Ideally the right candidate will also be fluent in Cantonese or Mandarin.
• Lead facade discipline projects on behalf of the group (operating as Job or Project Leader as appropriate), taking ownership for sustained and productive client relationships.
• In charge of multiple projects across the group, taking responsibility for the engineering solutions while ensuring financial success.
• Delivering a risk managed portfolio; working within agreed capital lock up parameters.
• Reviews job financial performance and adjust resources accordingly
• Actively seeks new work from existing clients
• Supporting the group’s marketing goals and plan
• Develop own Client relationships and secure repeat work where possible, with overall participation of the Group Director
• Dynamic focus on developing / maintaining business relationship with international architects and other clients in the region.
• Prepare Financial and Technical proposals
• Runs a team of people within the Group (mainly junior engineers and CAD Technicians)
• Guiding the lower level team members in order to achieve the project success.
• Support delivery of the team’s Performance and Development Review process.
• Prepare Technical Specifications and check work/specifications of subordinates
• Undertake high-level project technical/quality reviews and attend design workshops for projects relevant to experience across the practice, undertake site visits as needed for the smooth operation of the project
• Contribute to BH-wide initiatives with respect to technical development / market sectors and processes.
• Ensuring ‘design rigor’ is delivered on their projects, and in particular ensuring design QA processes are fully planned and implemented.
• Experienced technical leader; track record of exceptional delivery over a sustained period within the industry.
• Must have worked on international projects.
• Designing in at least three of the following materials: aluminium, steel, stone, glass and timber.
• Knowledge of weather performance issues.
• Architectural component detail design including aesthetics.
• Knowledge of building physics including ventilation, solar gain control, thermal insulation and glare control.
• Knowledge of various materials and its finishes in this industry and their corresponding performance / application under different environmental conditions.
• Knowledge of typical cladding systems.
• Experienced in computer modelling.
• Experience in the Asia Pacific Region.
• Secondary structure design.
• Glass structural design.
• Experience of the practical aspects of handling and fabricating typical cladding materials.
• Good awareness of the problems and constraints of the other major design disciplines such as Architectural, Structures, Services, Fire Engineering, and Acoustics etc.
• Involvement in business development.
• Involvement with Academic Institutes.
• First Degree in Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Architecture.
• Significant experience in the façade industry as a team leader, project leader and ideally with involvement in business development.
About the Company
About the Company
Buro Happold aims to produce high quality engineering design in concept, in detail and in execution, on time, to programme and delivering excellent value for money.
Our distinctive culture and ethos is still based on the same principles of care, value and elegance that were established when the practice was founded.
Our engineering approach is holistic, combining different disciplines in one, integrated team. Our reputation for excellence has grown from the basis that engineering is always viewed as one important component of a project’s overall design solution.
We constantly strive for innovation. Our appreciation of a client’s social, political and economic issues and of architectural and aesthetic qualities makes Buro Happold an ideal partner, helping our range of clients to shape great solutions.