Economics Specialist (PT)
Locally based candidates only. This is a non-sponsored position that requires all applicants to already have family based sponsorship to live and work in Qatar.
The Office of Academic Services (OAS) is a dynamic academic achievement and support unit within Academic Affairs that provides programming to support development in writing across the disciplines, economics and foreign languages for students enrolled in Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar. OAS is currently hiring a part-time Economics Specialist to serve as teaching assistant and tutor. Please note that this is a part-time (20-30 hours per week), non-sponsored, academic support position and not a research or faculty teaching position. The role of Economics Specialist in OAS is to provide expert tutoring and support for student learning in core economics subjects (principles of micro- and macroeconomics, international trade and finance) as well as courses in the IECO major (calculus, econ statistics, etc.) by serving as teaching assistant, tutor and mentor.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by November 30th, interviews will take place between Dec 1 - 15.
The specific job responsibilities include:
• Serving as a teaching assistant in up to 2 economics courses per semester which includes: attending all classes; preparing and delivering a recitation/review session each week; grading problem sets and exams; meeting with students individually and in groups; and meeting weekly with the lead faculty member.
• Tutoring students in core economics classes (microeconomics, macroeconomics, quantitative methods, international trade and international finance) as well as courses in the major.
• Developing and leading workshops and group review/study sessions.
• Being available for consultation with faculty.
• Assisting with the development of resources for learning economics.
• Providing guidance and mentoring to peer tutors of economics.
• Collaborating with a team of other specialists, peer tutors and professional staff in OAS.
• This position reports to the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs responsible for the Office of Academic Services but is mentored by and collaborates closely with economics faculty.
• A BSc or MSc (strongly preferred) in economics (with a strong quantitative and analytical background).
• Experience teaching or tutoring statistics or economics at the college level.
• Ability to work well in a fast-paced, learning-focused, team environment.
• The ability to start on January 6, 2013.
Please apply online.
This position is based in Doha, Qatar.
About the Company
Georgetown University is one of the world’s leading academic and research institutions, offering a unique educational experience that prepares the next generation of global citizens to lead and make a difference in the world. We are a vibrant community of exceptional students, faculty, alumni and professionals dedicated to real-world applications of our research, scholarship, faith and service.
Established in 1789, Georgetown is the nation’s oldest Catholic and Jesuit university. Drawing upon this legacy, we provide students with a world-class learning experience focused on educating the whole person through exposure to different faiths, cultures and beliefs. With our Jesuit values and location in Washington, D.C., Georgetown offers students a distinct opportunity to learn, experience and understand more about the world.