After registering as a jobseeker, I received 7 serious interview calls within a short span and now have found my dream job. Thank you GulfTalent.comRead More
OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID)
The General Counsel plans the annual work program of the Legal Department, identifies the resources required, proposes priorities within the general framework of OFID's program of work and also establishes, with the other functions, the services required from his/her office; defining in particular their nature, form, and productivity as well as methods for monitoring performance. As a permanent member of the senior management team the General Counsel discusses and advises on legal and other important matters and ongoing activities of OFID to improve its efficiency and promote its growth. The position is located in Vienna - Austria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance of the Director General, the incumbent manages the activities of the Legal Office and in particular:
• Identifies issues of importance, reviews and provides advices on the interpretation of agreement establishing OFID, the Ministerial Council and Governing Board proceedings and decisions, and on Headquarters' agreement.
• Ensures the existence of appropriate Staff Rules and Regulations, Staff Retirement and Medical Plans.
• Participates in negotiations in all areas of OFID's activities, and represents or arranges the representation of OFID in arbitration or other legal proceedings. Liaises with law firms hired by OFID and reviews their services.
• Establishes systematic liaison with outside institutions on matters on mutual interest, and represent OFID at international meetings.
• Reviews and, when required, directly undertakes work ensuring best professional standards.
• Provides guidance to directors and senior officers on legal and other important issues.
• Defines and ensures maintenance of an adequate management information system for the different activities of the legal department in accordance with established rules and procedures.
• Supervises the implementation and application of rigorous forward planning and analytical discipline.
• Assists OFID's management in formulation and development of OFID's policies and practices; participates to their evaluation in view of their continuous adaptation to the prevailing circumstances.
• Ensures that the staff in legal department receives the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden skills and improve performance; evaluates the performance of those staff directly reporting to him/her and generally maintain high degree of personal motivation.
• Performs other duties as required by the Director General.
Qualifications and Experience
• An advanced law degree from a reputable university in the country of education, preferably at PhD level and admission to the Bar, or equivalent, in the member countries' jurisdiction.
• Minimum of fifteen years relevant professional experience at a senior managerial level including, when possible, several years at an international level dealing with legal and financial matters concerning developing countries.
Skills and Competences
• Experience in providing intellectual leadership and inputs into policy dialogue with respect to development, in general, and in particular in the area of project financing.
• Significant technical expertise in legal aspects of development finance, and/or track record of research and publications in one or more aspect of development.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including the ability to set out coherent presentations during meetings
• Good working knowledge of either Arabic, French or Spanish will be an added advantage
• Knowledgeable and possessed of creative interpersonal, and intellectual leadership skills needed in planning, coordination and supervision
• Good working knowledge of computer applications and electronic communication
• Ability to work with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
About the Company
OFID is a Development Institution, established in 1976 by OPEC Member Countries, with core activities: providing financial loan through Public and Private Sector Facilities, Grants for under developed countries.
OFID's key aim is to foster social and economic progress in the developing world through the provision of concessional financing for developing countries. However, OFID's work goes beyond simply dispensing aid; one of its central aims has always been to advance ‘South-South’ solidarity in every way available to it. It does this by promoting cooperation in many spheres among countries of the developing world. It also does what it can to champion the cause of the developing world in the international arena.
In this regard, OFID has been closely associated with two multilateral institutions of great relevance in the developing world: IFAD and the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC).