Graduate Façade Engineer / Façade Engineer
Buro Happold has a global reputation for delivering iconic, cutting edge, sustainable buildings. We work with leading developers, architects and organisations at the forefront of new construction technologies and design innovation.
Since opening in 2009, Buro Happold's Hong Kong office has grown significantly following a series of successful project wins, including major transport hubs, mixed-use high-rise developments and major masterplanning work across Hong Kong and China, as well as the wider Asia Pacific region. Our local expertise comprises Structures (buildings and bridges), Building Services (E&M, physics and sustainability) and Façades, providing our clients with a strong integrated multidisciplinary service.
As part of the Hong Kong office's continued growth we are looking for an experienced Facade Engineer, with a strong background in facade design.
• Play a major role as an Engineer / Designer in the Facades Group of Buro Happold.
• Assist in developing jobs technically from initial Client ideas.
• Run complete medium complexity facades jobs, as Project Discipline Engineer, under the guidance of a Senior Engineer or Associate.
• Deliver work in a timely and technically competent manner.
• Provide strong design leadership on façade issues to the rest of the Client’s design team.
• Maintain good client relations throughout the job.
Significant post graduate experience of Façade Design which should ideally include the majority of the following:
• Designing in at least two of the following materials: aluminium, steel, concrete, stone, glass and timber.
• Awareness of basic weather performance issues.
• Architectural component detail design including aesthetics.
• Awareness of basic building physics including ventilation, solar gain control, thermal insulation and glare control.
• Secondary structure structural design.
• Glass structural design.
• Knowledge of typical cladding systems.
• Experience of the practical aspects of handling and fabricating typical cladding materials.
Good awareness of the problems and constraints of the other major design disciplines such as Architectural, Structures, Building Services/MEP, Fire Engineering, Acoustics, and computer modelling.
We are looking for a technically competent Façade Engineer/Designer with relevant experience, who will join our Hong Kong Office on a permanent basis. The successful applicant will be able to command confidence, and provide design leadership in the Facades Discipline, from a secure technical base. The person must be able to understand and react to the changing design of the overall building and be able to communicate their ideas clearly in speech and good quality hand sketches, or other means as necessary. The ability to develop ideas convincingly “on the page” in a meeting will be a significant advantage.
The person should also have the ability to consider all design options and be prepared to take a wide ranging approach to solving design problems, which may lead to unusual or unconventional solutions.
The person will need to be a team player who can manage and work with others in the office, to produce drawings and reports to tight deadlines.
The person should be able to develop and protect relationships with Clients and provide a range of services tailored to their needs. They must be able to fully understand the role played by a Façade Engineer / Designer in protecting the Clients interests and the typical risks that need to be addressed.
The person should familiar with prevailing design / testing / QA & QC codes in the façade industry, have good computer skills and be able to provide simple drawings in CAD. Experience in Graphics packages such as Adobe Illustrator, as well as 3D parametric modelling tools like Rhino, Digital Projects would be an advantage
We are seeking someone with good English, who is capable of writing concise, clear reports. Ideally the right candidate will also be fluent in Cantonese or Mandarin.
Due to the specialised nature of the discipline and the wide range of technical knowledge required, it is anticipated that a high level of support will need to be given initially, to allow a successful candidate to acquire the level of technical competence needed.
• First Degree in Structural Engineering for Engineer position.
• Min. Diploma in Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Architecture.
About the Company
About the Company
Buro Happold aims to produce high quality engineering design in concept, in detail and in execution, on time, to programme and delivering excellent value for money.
Our distinctive culture and ethos is still based on the same principles of care, value and elegance that were established when the practice was founded.
Our engineering approach is holistic, combining different disciplines in one, integrated team. Our reputation for excellence has grown from the basis that engineering is always viewed as one important component of a project’s overall design solution.
We constantly strive for innovation. Our appreciation of a client’s social, political and economic issues and of architectural and aesthetic qualities makes Buro Happold an ideal partner, helping our range of clients to shape great solutions.