Lead Mechanical Engineer (Site Supervision)
Buro Happold India has won a prestigious appointment to provide the project management and contract administration for a new US$45,000,000 development in the heart of New Delhi.
The construction of the project is planned over a 30 month period with a 12 months defect liability period, and Buro Happold's project management team will be approximately 14 strong. The project provides the opportunity to work alongside and learn from leading industry professionals who strive for operational excellence and innovation. Buro Happold has a strong culture of creativity, teamwork, problem solving and an open minded approach to project work; we strongly believe this is why we are an award winning international consultancy.
Working as part of the project management team, reporting to the Project Manager, the Lead Mechanical (MEP) Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the project relating to building services. The role includes the management of the MEP team to ensure that the day to day duties are performed professionally and expeditiously to support the ongoing progress of the project. The MEP team on site consists of the Lead Mechanical (MEP) Engineer, Electrical Engineer and MEP Inspector.
• Advise the Project Manager of any technical aspects of the mechanical services that may affect construction progress, e.g. quality or snagging.
• Continually review the contractor’s construction schedule during the progress of site works with regards to MEP services and report to the project manager on the same.
• Manage the day to day work of the MEP team.
• In conjunction with the document controller, ensure that the filing/logging of the MEP documentation is undertaken in line with the project handbook and continually monitor the same.
• Take part in risk workshops and report any risks associated with MEP installations or general project to the Project Manager.
• Review Contractor’s installation method statements.
• Review Contractor’s shop drawings against the design [tender] drawings for compliance with the design intent and return to project manager with appropriate comments / approval within the specified contractual period (normally 10 working days).
• Review contractor’s mechanical shop drawing in conjunction with the structural and electrical engineers to ensure engineering co-ordination and advise the Project Manager accordingly.
• Where required prepare technical clarifications to the tendered design to suit specific on-site construction and co-ordination issues.
• Review Contractor’s mechanical services material proposals against specified technical performance requirements and advise the Project Manager on the appropriateness of the proposals.
• Review Contractor’s proposed sub contractor(s) associated with the engineering works from a technical standpoint.
• Undertake general project site observation / inspection of the mechanical services works for Contractor’s adherence to the approved shop drawings and Consultant’s specification, good working practices and construction schedule.
• Monitor and promote health and safety on the site. Record and report any breaches to the Project Manager. If required stop the construction works if unsafe practices are being followed.
• Be available to undertake off-site inspections of proposed equipment and materials as may be deemed necessary by the Project Manager.
• Undertake prior review of Contractor’s proposed mechanical system testing & commissioning methods and schedule.
• Witness on-site piped system pressure test, air conditioning duct leakage testing and other testing that may be required during the first fix works and advise the Project Manager accordingly.
• On a spot basis, witness mechanical system final testing and commissioning.
• Review and comment on Contractor’s testing and commissioning results and advise the Project Manager accordingly.
• Maintain on-going list of mechanical services defects for contractor’s remedial action.
• Undertake final project snagging and prepare list of defects for Contractor’s action.
• Attend project, site progress and any mechanical services related technical meetings as directed by the project manager.
• Prepare draft site / engineer’s instructions, relating to the building mechanical services, as required and issue to the Project Manager.
• Provide advice to the Project Manager in regard to any mechanical services related variation costs that may be claimed by the Contractor during the course of the works.
• Review and comment upon the Contractor’s Operation and Maintenance manuals.
• Attend project progress meetings.
• Chair MEP design team meetings, as required.
• Attend the Project Manager’s internal meetings.
• Set up meetings to resolve specific site problems as required to minimize program delays.
• Review and approve Contractor’s ‘as built’ drawings.
• Advise on long lead MEP items that may affect progress of the works.
• Prepare the MEP section of the Project Managers monthly progress report.
• Deal with Contractor’s RFIs relating to the MEP works.
• Monitor quality of the Contractor’s construction installations.
• Ensure that daily progress reports are produced with regards to MEP works.
• Maintain a site diary.
• The post holder must at all times carry out his/ her duties with due regard to the Buro Happold Diversity Policy.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
• Bachelors, and ideally Masters, degree qualified in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant subject
• Significant relevant experience post graduation
• Chartered through a relevant and appropriate institution
• Demonstrable experience of leading an MEP site supervision team
• Demonstrable experience of working in multi-disciplinary construction teams
About the Company
About the Company
Buro Happold aims to produce high quality engineering design in concept, in detail and in execution, on time, to programme and delivering excellent value for money.
Our distinctive culture and ethos is still based on the same principles of care, value and elegance that were established when the practice was founded.
Our engineering approach is holistic, combining different disciplines in one, integrated team. Our reputation for excellence has grown from the basis that engineering is always viewed as one important component of a project’s overall design solution.
We constantly strive for innovation. Our appreciation of a client’s social, political and economic issues and of architectural and aesthetic qualities makes Buro Happold an ideal partner, helping our range of clients to shape great solutions.