Regional Business Manager
UK Border Agency (UKBA)
The British Embassy, Abu Dhabi is looking for a full time Regional Business Manager, to support the Regional Director and Regional Manager in the management of the UKBA Gulf, Iran and Pakistan region.
This position is for a term of One Year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To lead on the administration and profiling of the delegated regional budget, to ensure that accurate records of spend and committed funds are maintained, and to ensure that all spend is within budget and properly authorised. Providing direction on financial and other resource matters to Operations Managers. To check reports for accuracy and to work closely with UKBAIG Finance Unit and regional FCO finance teams. Re-profile budgets as required.
- To work with functional managers, the Regional Manager, and Regional Director to ensure that the Gulf, Iran and Pakistan visa operation is properly resourced in terms of staffing. To maintain accurate staffing records for the region and to arrange trawls for replacements as appropriate, ensuring that all recruitment is approved and within budget, delivering efficiencies where available. To plan and secure seasonal relief where required;
- To ensure the Chief Inspector’s recommendations accepted by the centre are actioned within the region.
- Co-ordinating and collating all regional responses on different issues including statistical returns, to the centre.
- Responsible for ensuring regional Business Continuity Plans are up to date and reviewed according to requirements.
- Acting as a change manager, applying programme and project manager discipline taking the lead on central and local initiatives to improve performance and efficiency.
- To enhance our reputation by instilling a sense of pride and professionalism amongst UKBA staff by ensuring the integrity of the system meets audit requirements and good practice is followed. Responsible for formal Quality Assurance Framework measures
- Line management of Band 14 officers and counter-signing officer for Band 13/12 support staffs appraisals.
Other duties include
- Participation in Embassy emergency planning and any response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
Key Competencies and Selection Criteria
- Delivery of Results – show determination in tackling difficult and complex tasks, with the ability to manager budgets effectively
- Communicating and Influencing – have the ability to structure and style communication appropriately and to strategic level, with excellent negotiation skills.
- Managing and Developing Staff – Motivate, provide support, manage talent and effectively line manage band 14 staff.
- Making Effective Decisions – The ability to make well judged decisions using well supported facts and input from relevant experts. Managing External Relationships – Work with internal / external customers and stakeholders identifying and agreeing standards of service.
This is a high profile position and candidates must have recent working experience of a UKBA position. The ideal candidate will be:
- A good communicator with excellent spoken and written English
- Computer literate with good experience of Microsoft Office applications
- Numerate and able to record and report data accurately
- Able to work quickly and reliably, unsupervised if necessary, with an eye for detail.
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Excellent team player;
- Adaptable and flexible with a positive attitude to change.
- Willing to travel to all UKBA posts in the region.
- Applicants must have recent working experience of a UKBA position.
- Applicants should also have or will need to be cleared to an appropriate level of UK security clearance and be able to obtain a valid UAE police clearance certificate.
- Applications are invited from eligible candidates who complete the attached core competency form enclosing evidence of criteria
- If selected for interview the candidates will be required to sit a written assessment as part of the job selection process.
- If selected be able to start in July 2012 and be legally present in the UAE.
Working Hours and Remuneration
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07.30am until 2.30pm on Sunday to Thursday. However, there may be a requirement for working on Saturday with a compensatory day off during the week. There will also be a requirement for working a late shift, which is currently 12pm to 7pm, for one week in every 8.
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: salary of AED 17,742 per month, inclusive of all allowances, Band 16; performance bonus; five weeks’ vacation per annum; medical insurance; free, on-site parking (subject to availability); and free access to on-site swimming pool, gymnasium and sports facilities.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures.
Potential candidates for the position will be invited to take a short written / presentation assessment. Those who pass the assessment will be invited back for an interview.
The closing date for all applications is 30th May 2012.
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, colour, gender, disability, religion, belief, marital status, creed or age
About the Company
About the Company
UK Border Agency (UKBA) operates visa-processing sections in British Embassies and Consulates overseas. We have expanded our Abu Dhabi operation to become a regional processing centre, handling up to 250,000 visa applications per year with a team of over 180 staff. Our team is committed to providing a first class service and is expected to be flexible and hard working. We are always prepared to react positively to change and try new ways of working.