Regional Head/Senior Risk Manager – Traded Credit Risk – MENAP
Standard Chartered Bank - UAE
Key Roles & Responsibilities
You will assume the management and control of all Traded risk activities arising from Standard Chartered's Financial Markets business in the MENAP region.
* Implement the overall Risk Management Framework for Traded Products and oversee its effective application
* Assist Head TCRM Western Hemisphere in contributing to the Wholesale Banking Risk Committee, WB Credit Issue Forum, and WB Underwriting Committee to provide input to the committees on arising risk issues and new policies and processes.
* Ensure global and regional business and product heads and all Risk Control Owners understand and accept their risk management responsibilities through Financial Markets' local and regional committees.
* Maintain an open and cooperative relationship in dealings with regulators and auditors.
* Manage Appropriateness and Suitability according to the Bank's policies and procedures.
* Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business and control function heads to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite
* Maintain alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors
* Provide input for stress test on commodity price, foreign exchange, interest rate, and scenario programme in Jump Risk. Review the results and assess their implications.
* Be alert to significant market movement and provide appropriate response to material events or other risk issues
* Approve Appropriateness and Suitability and other required approval and/or waive breaches of Financial Markets Credit Policy under own personal discretion.
Risk Control Ownership of Credit and Operational Risk
* Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to Head TCRM WH for notifying the responsible Financial Markets Product Governance Committees and to Group and Business-level committees as appropriate
* Design, maintain and effectively communicate risk control parameters across Financial Markets, including policies, control standards, risk exposure limits and other control levers in order to maintain Wholesale Bank's risk profile in line with the Group's risk appetite
* * Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of the Wholesale Bank's key external stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures
* Ensure the effectiveness of controls and compliance with applicable laws & regulations with regard to client's appropriateness and suitability through spot check and other monitoring methods.
General Management of the Traded Credit Risk Management Function
* Facilitate Financial Markets business through approving new Product Programs and Country Addendums, ensuring proper counterparty limits set for liquidity management and for trading, and revising credit excess approval guidelines to enhance framework for approval criteria & turnaround time.
* Manage risk exposures in the trading portfolios. Provide early warning and identify deteriorating credits. Manage exposure down as required.
* Provide guidance to Structurer, Sales, Relationship Manager, and SCOs with regard to appropriateness and suitability assessment of complex structure products, monitoring & reporting, and escalation.
* Contribute to the strategic intent and Collective Agenda for Traded Credit Risk Management function
* Maintain and develop risk capabilities, skills and infrastructure to meet ongoing business needs and plans
* Ensure effective management of operational risks within the Traded Credit Risk Management function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
People and Organisation
* Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives
* Uphold and reinforce the independence of Traded Credit Risk Management function from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits.
* Lead by example and build the appropriate culture and values within Traded Credit Risk Management function
Business Strategy & Planning
* Appraise and contribute to the development of Wholesale Bank's strategic plans and alignment with risk appetite through supporting WB Manco members and other executives
* Engage all stakeholders (eg. Business partners, Market Risk, Finance, Legal and Compliance) to raise their awareness of Financial Markets' Product Risks and how these are managed by Traded Credit risk Management.
The closing date for applications is 24/07/2012. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Diversity & Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
-Substantial experience at the senior risk management level in the banking industry. Demonstrated success in a similar role will be a distinct advantage.
-Experience in managing risk for the full spectrum of financial markets products is advantageous
-Sharp business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
-Demonstrated track record in successful management and ability to manage risk in geographically dispersed and highly varied client segments product base and asset classes.
-Significant experience in managing stake holders across business, other risk and control functions.
About the Company
About the Company
Standard Chartered Bank started in 1958 in UAE with its first branch in Sharjah. The Group's business gradually increased in Dubai with the opening of several branches and today, Dubai is the administrative hub of the Middle East and South Asia Region. In its 43rd year, the Bank enjoys the position of having the most extensive branch network among foreign international banks in UAE with 10 branches emirate-wide.
Standard Chartered is an international bank, focused on the established and emerging markets of Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America with an extensive global network of more than 600 offices in over 50 countries. The three principal business groups are Global Markets, Personal Banking and Corporate and Institutional Banking.
In UAE, we are one of the leading banks, offering an extensive range of products and services for personal customers, local companies, multinational corporate and financial institutions.