Research Specialist , Level 2
Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q)
Working under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) or more senior staff on sponsored research projects performs standard and some non-standard laboratory procedures and provides routine technical laboratory support for a Research Faculty.
1.Performs routine DNA, RNA and protein extractions from blood, amniotic fluids, and other tissues.
2.Performs standard genomic or transcriptional amplifications assays.
3.Helps in a variety of non-standard cell/tissue assays: gene cloning, bacterial transformation, cell transfection, culture preparation and/or analyses; prepares buffers, solutions and media.
4.Operates, calibrates and performs routine maintenance on standard and specialized laboratory equipment.
5. Maintains detailed records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations and statistical analysis charting.
6.Responsible for Quality Control and Assurance of samples, reagents, and data. Ensures laboratory compliance to all guidelines and standards of WCMC-NY and WCMC-Q.
7. Cleans and maintains laboratory hygiene, disposes of laboratory waste.
8. Orders laboratory supplies, maintains laboratory equipment and related records, expenditures, including inventory control and material receipt.
9. Develops and documents methods to improve processes in the laboratory.
10. Assists in the review and development of new laboratory standard operating procedures.
11. Cross trains on equipment, coordinates vacations, etc with other team members to ensure smooth lab flow.
12. Performs other job related duties as required.
1. Bachelor degree (B.S.) in biology or related field is required.
2. At least 3 years prior “practical/ hand experience” working in a research or similar laboratory dealing with various molecular genetics technologies.
3. Basic computer experience required for data entry and troubleshooting.
4. Previously exhibited individual initiative
5. Previously demonstrated basic proficiency in written and spoken English
6. Previously demonstrated ability to communicate in both scientific written reports and professional presentations.
1. MS in biology or related field
1. Work is approximately 30% is computer based, 70% lab based.
2. May require extended and varying work hours to meet demands.
3. Must be able to lift 20 lbs unaided
1. Work may include using chemical substances requiring careful use and the use of protective devices and clothing
About the Company
About the Company
Founded in 1898 and affiliated with what is now New York - Presbyterian Hospital (NYPH) since 1927, Weill Cornell Medical College is one of the top-ranked clinical and medical research centers in the U.S. It is committed to excellence in research, teaching and patient care, and the advancement of the art and science of medicine.
In addition to the degree in medicine, Weill Cornell offers PhD programs in biomedical research and education at the Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences; a joint MD-MBA program with Cornell’s Johnson School of Management; and a joint MD-PhD program with Rockefeller University and Sloan-Kettering Institute.