Senior Cost and Planning Engineer
To prepare Facilities Modifications Project (FMP) Cost estimates and implementation schedules across all engineering disciplines from conception to completion. Develop and implement internal planning, scheduling and cost control procedures as well as planning and reporting procedures for contractors.
Departmental Policies & Procedures
- Contribute to the development and oversee the implementation of department policies, procedures and controls covering all areas of Cost and Planning activity to ensure that all relevant procedural/legislative requirements are fulfilled while delivering a quality, cost-effective service to customers.
Budgeting – Actual vs. Planned
- Prepare monthly budget reports showing commitment and expenditure versus budget and AFE allocation and produce a time-phased expenditure curve (actual vs. planned).
Cost estimates and Authorisation for Expenditure (AFE)
- Prepare cost estimates for proposed projects across all engineering disciplines in order to establish feasibility and budgets.
- Obtain AFE approvals in order to allow work to proceed.
- Assist project and discipline engineers in defining project scopes to ensure their compliance with consistent AFE estimate completion.
- Prepare and track status of AFE’s and subsequently monitors both commitment and expenditure to ensure they are within approved limits.
Forecasting and Reporting
- Prepare and maintain Divisional Objective Commitment Forecast and report on deviations and trends on a monthly basis for submission to senior management for use in decision making.
- Compile and submit report on Value of Work Done and cost status reports to senior management for their information.
Contract Estimates and Tenders
- Prepare estimates of contracts and analytical breakdown at tender stage in order to provide a company estimate for submission to the tender committee.
- Prepare project master schedules to support project justifications as well as in contract invitation to tender documents as and when required.
- Review tender schedules and provide technical input to the tender evaluation process.
- Prepare Tender Contract Price pre-amble, price breakdown and schedule of rates for inclusion in tender documents.
Contractor Schedules and Payments
- Monitor and review contractor’s schedules and progress measurement methodologies in order to ensure alignment of the same with predefined timelines.
- Check contractor invoices, verify validity and
recommend payment in compliance with contractual obligations.
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement of section systems, processes and practices taking into account ‘international best practice’, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement.
Safety, Quality & Environment
- Ensure that all relevant safety, quality and environmental procedures, instructions and controls are adhered to so that the safety of employees, quality of products/services and environmental compliance can be guaranteed.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- All reports are prepared in an accurate and timely manner.
- Tender documents prepared and submitted as per protocols.
- Actual vs. planned costs closely monitored.
- AFE applications prepared in an accurate and timely manner.
- Project master schedules duly updated.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (any discipline)
- 10 years in a similar position with at least 8 in a petrochemical company
Job Specific Skills:
- Financial Awareness
- Operation Systems Knowledge
- Business Skills & Understanding
- Engineering Principles
- Planning and Organising
About the Company
About the Company
Rising from the desert with great speed and efficiency is the gas to liquids production facility, ORYX GTL, a joint venture between Qatar Petroleum (51%) and Sasol of South Africa (49%). The first of a series of planned GTL production facilities that will deliver on the declared ambition of the State of Qatar to become the GTL capital of the world.