Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Buro Happold’s geotechnical group provides its clients with a capability that spans structural, building and civil engineering. We have expertise in advanced ground investigation techniques as well as a complete range of geotechnical design options for all foundation types, basements, retaining walls, tunnels, bridges, earthworks, reclamation, slope engineering, ground treatments and water retaining structures. We work closely with contractors in the design of temporary works, dewatering, instrumentation and monitoring. Aided by advanced finite element analysis we predict ground movements and water flow to help our clients overcome the challenges of working in close proximity to other development.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for enthusiastic and self-motivated team-players who want to develop their careers. Demands are high, but in return we offer a collaborative, creative and professional working environment with rewarding career opportunities in a practice setting new standards. You will be working with major clients and world-class project teams on a wide variety of high profile buildings, environment and infrastructure projects in the UK and overseas.
• Act as Job or Project Leader
• Be a competent geotechnical designer of foundations, retaining structures, basements and earthworks
• Work with UK and potentially overseas ground investigation technologies .
• Some overseas travel may be required.
• Work competently on an independent basis.
• Communicate directly with Clients.
• Prepare technical and financial proposals for new work.
• Manage workload of Project Discipline Engineers and Technicians (including verification of quality).
• Prepare and take responsibility for concept to detailed engineering solutions.
• Have an appreciation of geo-environmental problems.
• Be able to deliver a portfolio of ground engineering projects at any time.
• Prepare Technical Specifications.
• Monitor financial performance of jobs.
• Set up and manage job/project administrative systems, including planning and monitoring job resourcing/expenditure (adjusting these as necessary).
• Ensure senior staff are kept informed of important and relevant service/design decisions and the objectives of the client are achieved.
• Ensuring all relevant BH staff are informed of client matters.
• Continually ensuring that practices, policies, strategy and services represent the client’s best interests and that Buro Happold policy is in keeping with current legislation, British Standards and Codes of Practice etc.
• The post holder must at all times carry out his/ her duties with due regard to the Buro Happold Diversity Policy.
You will have the following qualifications, experience and attributes:
- First degree in Civil Engineering or similar related Engineering qualification
- An MSc in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology or similar subjects
- Chartered Engineer (MICE)
- A positive problem solver with strong foundation, basement, earthworks and ground treatment design skills
- A good understanding of ground investigation techniques and its importance to deriving appropriate design parameters
- Good Interpretative Report writing skills
- A team leader familiar with multidisciplinary thinking and the ability to plan and deliver projects under minimal supervision
- An aptitude for working on, as well as a willingness to travel for, international projects.
- Full UK driving license
About the Company
About the Company
Buro Happold aims to produce high quality engineering design in concept, in detail and in execution, on time, to programme and delivering excellent value for money.
Our distinctive culture and ethos is still based on the same principles of care, value and elegance that were established when the practice was founded.
Our engineering approach is holistic, combining different disciplines in one, integrated team. Our reputation for excellence has grown from the basis that engineering is always viewed as one important component of a project’s overall design solution.
We constantly strive for innovation. Our appreciation of a client’s social, political and economic issues and of architectural and aesthetic qualities makes Buro Happold an ideal partner, helping our range of clients to shape great solutions.