Senior Structural Engineer (Site Supervision)
Buro Happold India has won a prestigious appointment to provide the project management and contract administration for a new US$45,000,000 development in the heart of New Delhi.
The construction of the project is planned over a 30 month period with a 12 months defect liability period, and Buro Happold's project management team will be approximately 14 strong. The project provides the opportunity to work alongside and learn from leading industry professionals who strive for operational excellence and innovation. Buro Happold has a strong culture of creativity, teamwork, problem solving and an open minded approach to project work; we strongly believe this is why we are an award winning international consultancy.
Working as part of the project management team, reporting to the Project Manager, the structural engineer is responsible for all aspects of the project relating to structural works, the duties must be performed professionally and expeditiously to support the ongoing progress of the project. The role includes management of the structural inspector.
• Advise the project manager of any technical aspects of the project structural works that may affect construction progress.
• Continually review the contractor’s construction schedule during the progress of site works.
• Review Contractor’s installation method statements.
• Review Contractor’s shop drawings against the design [tender] drawings for compliance with the design intent and return to project manager with appropriate comments / approval within the specified contractual period (normally 10 working days).
• Review contractor’s structural shop drawing in conjunction with the architects, mechanical and electrical engineers to ensure engineering co-ordination and advise project manager accordingly.
• Where required prepare technical clarifications to the tendered design to suit specific on-site construction and co-ordination issues.
• Review Contractor’s material proposals against specified technical performance requirements and advise the Project Manager on the appropriateness of the proposals.
• Review Contractor’s proposed sub contractor(s) associated with the structural engineering works from a technical standpoint.
• Undertake general project site observation / inspection of the structural works for Contractor’s adherence to the approved shop drawings and Consultant’s specification, good working practices.
• In conjunction with the document controller, ensure that all structural documents are logged and filed in accordance with the site procedures manuals.
• Monitor Health and Safety of the construction works and report on the same. If required stop the construction works if unsafe practices are being followed.
• Be available to undertake off-site inspections of proposed materials as may be deemed necessary by the Project Manager.
• Advise the Project Manager on aspects of contractors work progress for the purpose of monthly payment valuations.
• Advice the Project Manager on aspects of contractor’s work that are subject to additional works claims.
• Compile the structural section of the Project Managers Monthly Report.
• Maintain a site diary.
• Deal with RFI’s relating to the structural works.
• Attend project progress meetings as required.
• Attend internal project managers meetings.
• Manage the day to day activities of the structural inspector.
• Actively work with the contractor’s team to resolve issues on site to minimize program delays.
• Record defects and bring them to the attention of the project manager.
• Monitor the ongoing construction of the structural work and instruct the contractor to make corrections as necessary to improve the finish of the constructed works.
• Proactively work with the contractor to ensure that the architectural works are constructed in accordance with the contract documents. It is envisaged that this will involve detailed discussions about proposed construction techniques and materials, prior to the works being executed to minimize impact on the project program.
• Integrate yourself as an active member of the project management team.
• Review and approve Contractors ‘as built’ drawings.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelors, and ideally Masters, degree qualified in Civil, Structural, Architectural Engineering or a relevant subject
• Significant relevant experience post graduation
• Demonstrable experience in the supervision / oversight of structural engineering site works
• Demonstrable experience of working in multi-disciplinary construction teams
• Good command of both spoken and written English language
About the Company
About the Company
Buro Happold aims to produce high quality engineering design in concept, in detail and in execution, on time, to programme and delivering excellent value for money.
Our distinctive culture and ethos is still based on the same principles of care, value and elegance that were established when the practice was founded.
Our engineering approach is holistic, combining different disciplines in one, integrated team. Our reputation for excellence has grown from the basis that engineering is always viewed as one important component of a project’s overall design solution.
We constantly strive for innovation. Our appreciation of a client’s social, political and economic issues and of architectural and aesthetic qualities makes Buro Happold an ideal partner, helping our range of clients to shape great solutions.