Subsurface Data Lead
British Petroleum (BP)
Reporting to the Reservoir Management Manager, ME Region, the Subsurface Data Lead is accountable for the management of the region's subsurface data, ensuring silent running and compliance with Subsurface processes and standards.
The Subsurface Data Lead must ensure alignment of Subsurface Data Management (DM) strategic direction, project priorities and budgets with those of the Upstream Function and the ME Region. He/she is accountable for the local implementation of the global Subsurface strategy and standards. He/she is responsible for enabling the Subsurface function to realise business value from data.
The Subsurface Data lead is accountable for the silent running of Subsurface data operations within the Region, providing expertise and guidance on one or more specific data domains and overseeing a team of Specialists/Analysts providing dedicated services. He/she will promote data standards and resolve data management, migration, integration, and data quality issues and implement improvements to data management practices and processes.
The Subsurface Data Lead will oversee/create Subsurface Data Governance processes within the Region, contributing to and complying with data governance resolutions disseminated by the global governance structure. He/she is responsible for ensuring definition of a data ownership model for the Function based on the global standards. He/she will ensure compliance with both BP internal and local regulatory data requirements.
The Subsurface Data Lead will build and act as line manager to the ME Region's Subsurface DM team, and, working with the Regional Data Manager, will assist in coordinating their roles, scope and career development opportunities. He/she will ensure the deployment of DM Resources within the Region is in balance with the work that is demanded of them. He/she will work closely with the Regional Data Manager, who will provide strategy alignment, common process, standards, and shared infrastructure across all Functions within the Region.
The Subsurface Data Lead is responsible for the change management in workflow around Standard Solutions implementation, including coordination of training for users.
Communication and Engagement
The Subsurface Data Lead must work closely with the Global Subsurface Data Lead to ensure alignment with global best practice and standards. He/she must liaise regularly with the equivalent Subsurface Data Leads in other Regions to identify and spread best practices. He/she must participate in the Data Management Community of Practice (CoP) and communicate with partners and regulatory bodies.
The Subsurface Data Lead is responsible for communicating requirements for additional and/or changes to relevant data applications, information systems and infrastructure within the Subsurface Function. This requires liaison with IT&S via the Regional Data Manager. He/she is responsible for identifying integration and security requirements around any Standard Solutions local implementation. He/she is responsible for ensuring users are proficient in the use of data applications and information systems.
Degree qualified, preferably in one of the Upstream Functions (Geology, Geophysics, Reservoir, Petroleum Engineering)
- In depth understanding of Subsurface workflows and the management of the data types associated with the workflow
- Preference for extensive years of experience working with Subsurface domain data in the Upstream oil industry
- Extensive exposure to data management services in the Subsurface Function
- Good understanding of both the IT&S and Subsurface key business processes, workflows and the associated data flows.
- Ability to link strategy to operational delivery and implement plans which balance delivering strategic direction with business objectives.
- Good management, communication and interpersonal skills i.e. mentorship, leadership and influencing skills
- Demonstrable experience of leading teams and influencing without direct reporting lines
- Awareness of industry and competitor trends in data management tools and services.
- Team player able to comfortably liaise with all Subsurface users within their team as well as partners, IT&S, other Data Lead colleagues, regulatory bodies and 3rd party vendors.
- Good general IT knowledge and skills including MS Office suite
About the Company
About the Company
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of nearly 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.