Supervisor – Laboratory Equipment Maintenance
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology)
Supervisor - Laboratory Equipment Maintenance
Manages the day to day activities of the Laboratory Equipment. Maintenance shop including the supervision of maintenance staff and contractors. Assesses workloads plans, assigns, priorities and evaluates staff work and productivity
Major Responsibilities – include but are not limited to -
• Designs, Recommends, Implements and Evaluates laboratory equipment maintenance policies, procedures, methods and standards to increase overall reliability and uptime of laboratory equipment.
• Serves as primary contact to Laboratory Equipment Maintenance, confers with maintenance team in order to understand problems, make diagnoses and mange expectations.
• Develops and implements inventory controls to minimize waste and loss.
• Responsible for preventive maintenance to ensure schedules are maintained, planned and performed in a timely manner.
• Responsible for the organization and housekeeping of the repair shop including managing an inventory of spare parts and monitoring usage and reporting.
• Evaluates the need to external for contracting arrangements with vendors /manufactures for the repaid/maintenance.
• Ensures equipment is maintained cost effectively and in accordance with the manufactures recommended practice and that equipment under warranty is managed so as not to invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty.
• Assesses the training needs and develops training programs to ensure all staff are trained in various aspects of shop operations, repair and maintenance.
• Oversees quality control practices and measures for repairs and preventive maintenance
• Supervises the helpdesk function to ensure work orders are accepted and dispersed promptly to assure timely response and turnaround.
• Ensures timely submission of Field Service Reports (FSR) and Installation & Commissioning Reports (ICR) to record all service related activities on an equipment-by-equipment basis.
• Prepares and/or approves requisitions for tools, parts and supplies.
• Supports the planning, installation and commissioning activities of new laboratory equipment when installed by vendors and/or third party providers.
• Works closely with Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) division to ensure compliance with policies and regulations to minimize accidents and injuries.
• Ensures participation in safety programs, conducts and documents monthly safety meetings.
• Maintains an up to-date library of required service manuals and technical update sheets
• Responsible for ensuring the accurate timely preparation of a variety if mandated reports , records and files
• Oversees the organization and housekeeping of the repair shop including managing an inventory of spare parts and monitoring usage and waste.
• Knowledge of principles, standard practices and techniques of servicing, maintaining and repairing laboratory equipment and instruments, materials, parts, supplies, equipment, and told used in the maintenance of laboratory equipment.
• Understanding of basic recordkeeping and office procedures necessary to prepare, maintain and retrieve routine reports and records
• Ability to use/operate electronic diagnostic equipment in the maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment.
• Ability to counsels employees and recommend corrective and/or disciplinary action when appropriate; and documents employee performance.
• Experience in making recommendations for changes in staffing as necessary to meet the demands of workload, interviews applicants and makes recommendations for hire.
• Determine and estimate labor and materials requirements.
• Ability to work shifts as required.
• Excellent Leadership, communication and motivation skills
• Problem solving, tactical and analytical skills.
• Ability to manager varied workload, work quickly and under pressure.
• Aware of Health & Safety policies and laboratory safety rules.
• Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with all parties.
• Excellent written and spoken English.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Programs
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with engineers, technicians and laboratory equipment operation.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with colleagues, subordinates, users, vendors and other agencies.
• Ability to read and understand technical information related to laboratory equipment repair and operations
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering or similar discipline.
• Minimum of 7 years continuously progressive maintenance engineering experience with a major product manufacturer, preferably in a university or research laboratory environment.
• Previous supervisory experience across a diverse ethnic base
• Attended factory/Manufacturer trainings for major analytical instruments
• Exerting setting up new laboratories and addressing their needs
• Familiarity with university laboratory equipment including chemical, biological and material science equipment
About the Company
About the Company
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is a brand new institution that’s set to inspire the next era of global scientific achievement. Opening in September 2009 we’re recruiting many exciting roles. One could be yours.