Trainee Meteorologist – UAE National
Purpose of Job
The Trainee Meteorologist will analyse, interpret and collate all available meteorological data in order to prepare weather information, forecasts and warnings for ATC and airline operators to ensure safe operations at the airport, under the guidance of the Meteorologist. Trainee Meteorologist will interact with meteorological
services staff, airline representatives and other operators within the airfield. The Meteorologist will also handle inquiries from commercial customers and the media. The Trainee Meteorologist has plenty of independence to explore available meteorological data from many sources and present relevant information
to the Forecaster. Products produced by the Trainee for operational use are monitored closely. Work schedule deadlines are in place however the Trainee Meteorologist should be flexible and prioritise tasks to ensure that full support is given to the Forecaster as per his requirements. The Trainee Meteorologist works in an air-conditioned environment on a shift basis
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Key Job Responsibilities
· Assist the Forecaster with continual monitoring of the prevailing meteorological conditions by analysis of all observational data and interpretation of satellite and radar imagery
· Issues written and verbal, routine and non-routine, aviation, marine and general public forecasts, warnings and reports as laid down in the Local Staff Instructions under the supervision of the Duty Forecaster.
· Interpret prognostic computer products from World Area Forecast Centres the ECMWF and other sources.
· Undergo “On the Job” Training relating to operational forecasting procedures from experienced meteorologists. Conduct a daily weather briefing using all available forecast and observational data. Maintain and update personal knowledge of current meteorological practices and available forecast products. Gain the necessary technical knowledge and computer skills required to use all operational forecasting equipment.
· Monitor and report in the log all departures from normal office procedure, taking appropriate action to remedy the situation whenever possible. Be innovative and develop new procedures to improve forecast quality, products and services within the unit.
· Review and record, on a daily basis, the previous days weather information for the weather diary.
· Maintain a working knowledge of the Safety and Quality Management System.
HSQE Responsibilities and Information Security Responsibilities
· Awareness of the Integrated Management System and the content of the Environment, Quality, Health & Safety and Information Security Policy Statements;
· Understanding of personal responsibilities and contribution to achieving compliance with the Integrated Management System requirements, (including but not limited to competence to perform safety critical roles, legal requirements, control measures arising from environmental impacts and aspects, job safety analysis and information security risk assessment) and the potential consequences of departure from the arrangements in place to deliver the commitments stated in the policies statements above
· To exercise their personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by the acts or omissions;
To use safety equipment (including PPE) as required and intended and observe that this is also enforced among subcontractors and third parties working in Serco’s controlled premises/systems.
· Promote a good HSQE and Information Security culture among their peers, subcontractors and third parties;
· Lead by example and look at ways to conserve energy, water and resources and minimise the generation of waste through personal performance and raise recommendations on how to improve existing processes on this regard within/outside their departments through their Line Manager,
Departmental Safety Meetings and any other appropriate available channels;
· Protect information assets and data including both electronic and paper based from all threats whether internal, external, deliberate or accidental;
· The Trainee Meteorologist should be a graduate (or equivalent) with emphasis in Meteorology, Physics, Mathematics or other science based subject. A master’s degree would be an advantage.
· Working knowledge of MS Office
· Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking)
· The Trainee Meteorologist is required to undergo
About the Company
About the Company
Serco improves the quality and efficiency of essential services that matter to millions of people around the world.
The work we do for national and local governments involves us in the most important areas of public service, including health, education, transport, science and defence.
Our private sector customers are industry-leading organisations in a wide variety of markets.
We have nearly 50 years' experience of helping our customers achieve their goals. Many want us to improve their productivity and service quality. Others need us to support their rapid growth. Government customers face crucial issues such as economic development, congestion, security and climate change. They value the innovation and passion we bring to these challenges, and the collaborative, flexible and imaginative way we work.