This position is closed or expired.
See other Journalism jobs
Senior Entertainment Editor
We're looking for a creative and versatile Senior Entertainment Editor for Yahoo! Middle East. The ideal candidate will have a good background in the online media industry, excellent editorial skills, a feel for the types of content that are successful on social platforms and how to engage users and increase the reach of Yahoo! Maktoob properties. You should have strong understanding of the entertainment and lifestyle fields both in the Middle East and globally, for our English-speaking audience. You should be flexible, quick-thinking, energetic, efficient and able to work independently under pressure while maintaining attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must for interacting with fellow editors, users, and employees throughout Yahoo!
Reporting to the editor in chief of Yahoo! Maktoob English…
• Work with the front page team to ensure content is scheduled and promoted effectively
• Lead brainstorming for creative solutions to advertiser proposals and define content sponsorship opportunities
• Evaluate business opportunities and propositions, working with partnerships team
• Assist PMs, marketing and sales departments with research relating to product strategy, sales and promotion
• Make relevant editorial choices, crafting appealing headlines and teaser copy, choosing and prepare appropriate imagery for content both syndicated and created by Yahoo!
• Manage the site, and in future, other editors, to populate Yahoo!’s Entertainment and Lifestyle pages with fresh, compelling and relevant content
• Create user experiences which encourage repeat use and adoption
• Ensure our mobile pages offer a matching experience
• Manage competing priorities, budgeting time and resources
• Maintain events diary
• Manage freelance journalists, bloggers and photographers as appropriate to ensure a steady stream of content
• Understand the Yahoo! audience, and its interests, and feeding these back into product plans and tactics
• Help define gaps and contribute ideas to content commissioning and acquisition and product development
• Meet targets and deliver on daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly traffic performance indicators
• Take full ownership of feature and event planning/ coverage on sites
• Deputise (or arrange cover) in the absence of editors and other key members of staff
• A solid grounding in editing and re-writing in an online editorial environment
• Minimum five years experience as a journalist and editor working on an entertainment- or women-focused title or site, and at least two years in a supervisory role
• Demonstrable headline writing, image selection and content packaging skills
• Experience with online publishing tools
• A thorough understanding of editorial best practices and priorities
• A keen understanding of entertainment, lifestyle and popular culture, predominantly targeting women
• Online video editing skills highly desirable, as is good Photoshop knowledge
• University degree or equivalent required, preferably in a journalism-related field
• Language skills: Excellent command of English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Arabic an advantage
• Strong communication, teamwork, collaboration and problem-solving skills
About the Company
Yahoo! is focused on making the world's daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. By creating highly personalized experiences for our users, we keep people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. In turn, we create value for advertisers by connecting them with the audiences that build their businesses. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., and has offices located throughout the Americas, Asia Pacific (APAC) and the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) regions.