An in-depth study of twelve blues licks, with left-hand support tips.
Lick #10 of this group is more than a lick; actually, it gives you a complete two-handed 12-bar opening groove, including a left-hand pattern to support your licks throughout your soloing.
This class is all about improvising blues licks and fills on piano, performed over a repeating 12-bar blues pattern. You will be given in-depth raw material and concepts, which leads to the exciting creation of your own convincing licks d melodies in a blues setting.
See the list below (bullet items) for what you will accomplish.
More than just learning notes by rote, you will get insight into the patterns, chords and intervals involved, including how to transpose each lick. As a result, each lick is RAW MATERIAL for endless variations. This course is 100% video. However, I have provided a few sheets of optional piano music notation. This course exists to teach people how to get moving on improvising the blues, so please don't lean too much on the printed music. Either way, I'm here to help, which means you can rattle my cage at any time. Any blues and piano-related communications are welcome!
- No need to read music!
- However, for those who do read music, I have provided optional sheet music, which further illustrates some of the licks. In addition, there is a complete blues solo (24 bars), written out in standard notation. This sheet music is downloadable (printable PDF files)
- If you intend to physically perform these licks on piano -- as opposed to learning just the concepts, which is fine too -- an intermediate level of playing dexterity will be necessary.
- It's helpful to understand the famous "12-bar blues" chord progression before taking this class, although that concept is easy to look up ahead of time
- It is NOT required that you have prior experience with jazz or blues improvisation.
- Each video covers one lick, and explains the concepts that each lick represents. Since I also show how to play each lick in multiple keys (besides just C), a casual familiarity with musical intervals helps
Who should take this course
Musicians or composers, especially piano players, who love to play the Blues (and/or related genres like Rock, R&B, Funk, Country, Gospel, and Jazz). This is for creative players who are seeking new raw material, ideas, and insights. As mentioned in the prerequisites: "Technically, a sharp self-learner with zero musical experience, who is fond of connecting the dots, could benefit from this course as well."
Course Completion Certificate
You will learn how to:
- Use the popular and famous "blues scale" when creating licks
- Add additional notes, beyond the blues scale, for variety
- Master the twelve example licks
- Play a 12-complete 12-bar introduction
- Perform "turn-arounds" and endings
- Learn the "why and how" behind this raw material, so that you can adapt, alter, and be creative with it, and be confident that what you produce on your own will sound great (with practice).
- Begin a lifelong journey as a hot blues man / woman!
About Course Provider
Simpliv LLC, a platform for learning and teaching online courses. We basically focus on online learning which helps to learn business concepts, software technology to develop personal and professional goals through video library by recognized industry experts or trainers.
With the ever-evolving industry trends, there is a constant need of the professionally designed learning solutions that deliver key innovations on time and on a budget to achieve long-term success.
Simpliv understands the changing needs and allows the global learners to evaluate their technical abilities by aligning the learnings to key business objectives in order to fill the skills gaps that exist in the various business areas including IT, Marketing, Business Development, and much more.
How to enroll?
You can book the course instantly by paying on GulfTalent.