About this Course:
Taught by a Stanford-educated ex-Googler husband-wife team. This course will use Java and an Integrated Development Environment - IDE . Never fear we have a detailed video on how to get this downloaded and set up. Hundreds of lines of source code and hundreds of lines of comments - just download and open in your IDE! A Java course for everyone - accessible yet serious to take you from absolute beginner to an early intermediate level
Let's parse that.
This is a Java course for everyone. Whether you are a complete beginner - a liberal arts major an accountant doctor lawyer - or an engineer with some programming experience but looking to learn Java - this course is right for you. The course is accessible because it assumes absolutely no programming knowledge and quickly builds up using first principles alone Even so this is a serious Java programming class - the gradient is quite steep and you will go from absolute beginner to an early intermediate level
The course is also quirky. The examples are irreverent. Lots of little touches: repetition zooming out so we remember the big picture active learning with plenty of quizzes. There's also a peppy soundtrack and art - all shown by studies to improve cognition and recall.
Programming Basics: What programming is and a carefully thought-through tour of the basics of any programming. Installing and setting up an IDE and writing your first program
- The Object-Oriented Paradigm: Classes Objects Interfaces Inheritance how an OO mindset differs from a functional or imperative programming mindset the mechanics of OO - access modifiers dynamic dispatch abstract base classes v interfaces. The underlying principles of OO: encapsulation abstraction polymorphism
- Threading and Concurrency: A deep and thorough study of both old and new ways of doing threading in Java: Runnables Callables Threads processes Futures Executors.
- Reflection Annotations: The how what and why - also the good and bad
- Lambda Functions: Functional constructs that have made the crossover into the mainstream of Java - lambda functions aggregate operators.
- Modern Java constructs: Interface default methods properties and bindings too. Also detailed coverage of Futures and Callables as well as of Lambda functions aggregation operators. JavaFX as contrasted with Swing.
- Packages and Jars: The plumbing is important to understand too.
- Language Features: Serialisation why the Cloneable interface sucks exception handling the immutability of Strings the Object base class primitive and object reference types pass-by-value and pass-by-object-reference.
- Design: The MVC Paradigm Observer and Command Design Patterns.
- Swing: Framework basics JFrames JPanels and JComponents Menus and menu handling Trees and their nuances File choosers buttons browser controls. A very brief introduction to JavaFX.
Programming Drills - code-alongs with source code included. Serious stuff:
A daily stock quote summariser: scrapes the internet does some calculations and outputs a nice formatted Excel spreadsheet.
- A News Curation app to summarise newspaper articles into a concise email snippet using serious Swing programming
- Support with choosing a programming environment downloading and setting up IntelliJ.
- Simple hello-world style programs in functional imperative and object-oriented paradigms.
- Maps lists arrays. Creating instantiating and using objects interfaces
No prior programming experience needed:
- The class will make use of Java and an IDE - never fear we have a detailed video to walk you through the process of setting this up
Who should take this course
Who is the target audience?
- Yep! Folks with zero programming experience - liberal arts majors doctors accountants lawyers
- Yep! Engineering students from non-CS majors looking to learn fairly serious programming
- Nope! Experienced Java programmers - this class will be boring for you:)
- Yep! Computer Science students or software engineers with no experience in Java but experience in Python C++ or even C#.
You might need to skip over some bits but in general the class will still have new learning to offer you :-)
Course Completion Certificate
What you will learn:
- Write Java programs of moderate complexity and sophistication (at an early to middling intermediate level)
- Understand Object-Oriented programming concepts at the level where you can have intelligent design conversations with an experienced software engineer
- Manage concurrency and threading issues in a multi-threaded environment
- Create and modify files (including Excel spreadsheets) and download content from the internet using Java
- Use Reflection Annotations Lambda functions and other modern Java language features
- Build serious UI applications in Swing
- Understand the Model-View-Controller paradigm the Observer and Command Design patterns that are at the heart of modern UI programming
- Gain a superficial understanding of JavaFX and Properties and Bindings
- Understand the nuances of Java specific constructs in serialisation exception-handling cloning the immutability of strings primitive and object reference types
- Lectures quantity: 84
- Common duration: 16:49:53
- You Us and This Course
- Coding Is Like Cooking
- An Object-Oriented State of Mind
- Java Language Constructs: The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
- Threading and Concurrency: A Lot Going On All At Once
- Functional Programming: Crossover Hits
- Recursion Reflection Annotations Dates Packages and Jars
- UI Programming: Swing MVC and JavaFX
- Some Interview Problems For Practice!
About Course Provider
Simpliv LLC, a platform for learning and teaching online courses. We basically focus on online learning which helps to learn business concepts, software technology to develop personal and professional goals through video library by recognized industry experts or trainers.
With the ever-evolving industry trends, there is a constant need of the professionally designed learning solutions that deliver key innovations on time and on a budget to achieve long-term success.
Simpliv understands the changing needs and allows the global learners to evaluate their technical abilities by aligning the learnings to key business objectives in order to fill the skills gaps that exist in the various business areas including IT, Marketing, Business Development, and much more.
How to enroll?
You can book the course instantly by paying on GulfTalent.