The PGCE Physics at King's prepares trainees to become thoughtful, creative and engaging teachers, through understanding both the research which underpins and advances science teaching, and a wide range of practical approaches. The course is taught by an internationally-recognised science education group with over three decades of acclaimed research.
- PGCE courses at King's are rated Outstanding by Ofsted. One reason is the strong research base which informs the course. In the last research assessment exercise, the department was rated second in the UK (REF, 2014).
- A working partnership with a broad range of up to 150 schools in London and beyond, providing unique opportunities to learn how to teach a diverse mix of students.
- Prepare students to teach outside the classroom: there is a residential field-trip and several other opportunities to make best use of what London has to offer the science teacher, from the South Bank to the Natural History Museum.
- 96% of 2017 graduates who sought teaching posts were employed within 6 months of qualifying.
- Two assessed pieces of coursework give you 60 Master's-level credits - a third of an MA - which puts you well on the way to a Master's degree in your chosen profession.
Who should take this course
Our PGCE programmes all require a minimum of:
- Bachelor's degree with at least 2:1 honours (or overseas equivalent) usually in the subject you wish to teach.
- Knowledge and understanding of the subject you intend to teach.
- GCSE grade C or above (or an equivalent qualification) in English language and mathematics. Applicants without these English or mathematics qualifications at the time they apply may be considered, but they must obtain them, or pass an equivalent test set by King's, before the course starts.
Courses are divided into modules, and students on this course take modules totalling 120 credits. King's College London reviews the modules offered on a regular basis to provide up-to-date, innovative and relevant programmes of study..
You are required to study the following modules:
- Studying Policy & Professional Practice (30 credits)
- Focused Pedagogical Studies (30 credits)
- Professional Practice in Education (45 credits)
- School Data (15 credits)
- Full time overseas fees:
About Course Provider
King's College London is one of the top 10 UK universities in the world (QS World University Rankings, 2018/19) and among the oldest in England.
King's vision is to make the world a better place, building on our history of pioneering research that has advanced and shaped modern life, such as: the discovery of the structure of DNA; research to better understand autism and develop life-changing therapies; informing air pollution awareness and policy; research that led to the development of radio, radar, television and mobile phones; and making maths available to the underprivileged. These are all ways that we are having a transformational impact on society.
Our intellectually rigorous teaching environment is coupled with a commitment to providing a rich and supportive student experience. We have more than 31,000 students (of whom nearly 12,800 are postgraduates, with 1,000 students enrolled in online masters courses) from 150 countries worldwide, meaning that students are part of a truly international community. Our 8,500 members of staff collaborate with students to help them get the most out of their degree. Many of our academics are also researchers working within and influencing their industries, meaning that students learn the latest thinking and understand its practical and contemporary relevance.
King's College London and Guy's and St Thomas', King's College Hospital and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trusts are part of King's Health Partners. King's Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC) is a pioneering global collaboration between one of the world's leading research-led universities and three of London's most successful NHS Foundation Trusts, including leading teaching hospitals and comprehensive mental health services.
How to enroll?
Provide us with your contact details, course provider will get back to you.