Job description / Role
The Role Responsibilities
The role holder is responsible for supporting the Chief Executive Officer Bahrain & GCC Cluster (Bahrain, Oman, Qatar & Saudi Arabia) in achieving their objectives which includes the development and execution of the strategic agenda and driving key initiatives whilst balancing strategy, financial performance, people & talent, risk management, business conduct, governance and stakeholder management.
* Play a leading role in the development of the strategic agenda in the GCC cluster and help drive its execution; coordinate, prepare and create strategic reviews and business plans on a regular basis
* Assist in the delivery of the management agenda - taking the lead to identify and drive initiatives designed to build the businesses, improve financial performance, balance sheet management, operating efficiency, risk and people management
* Identify and address the top issues/opportunities for performance improvement across the team
Business Planning & Support
* Undertake specific ad-hoc projects or initiatives at the request of the CEO with the aim to increase momentum and actively track performance/progress
* Lead and execute select business/functional projects and initiatives (i.e. Client Experience improvement initiatives, Conduct BAU plan, etc.)
* Work on specific projects/deep dives and ensure follow through, particularly when thematic issues arise (work with relevant business heads in the cluster); provide timely and succinct updates on issues/projects
* Engage with regional teams to co-ordinate geographically driven initiatives
* Act as a prime contact point and coordinator for initiatives
Finance & Reporting
* Assist in the annual revenue/cost budget and forecasting process; provide financial analysis as required
* Work with the GCC CLT to maintain a rigorous cost and investment discipline across the cluster
* Develop & maintain an effective MIS and reporting cycle to monitor business momentum and to pro-actively highlight potential issues; develop & maintain regular reports such as Country Scorecards, Franchise Revenue Reports, Pipeline Reports, etc.
People and Talent
* Support development and execution of people plans and HR priorities across the GCC Cluster, ensuring these are aligned to the business/functional strategies, global people strategy and regional priorities
* Support in the development of succession plans that identify gaps in bench-strength, subsequently implementing action plans to ensure ready-now talent is available
* Drive an environment of collaboration, both within the team and across the wider Group, to ensure issues are raised and blockages are resolved in a timely manner
Risk Management & Audit
* Assist the CEO Bahrain & GCC Cluster in pro-actively identifying and mitigating risks; work closely with the business heads to manage and improve the risk & compliance environment
* Play a leading role in Audit Socialization; source evidence showing appropriate risk measures are in place
* Work with the Head of Audit to track relevant audit issues and appropriate management actions and ensure closure within a timely manner
* Develop Monthly GCC Risk Updates and highlight issues in a timely manner when appropriate
Control & Governance
* Be responsible, as a member of the GCC CLT, for maintaining a strong and appropriate control environment; assist the CEO Bahrain and business heads to drive improvement of the governance environment
* Act to minimize operational loss and audit failures, ensure appropriate focus on issues and resolutions; ensure lessons learnt are addressed in all GCC countries
* Support business and Operational Risk to ensure appropriate focus on High Risk and Very High risk issues raised in all CORCs and other material risks raised in Country CLT in the GCC cluster countries; ensure they are properly mitigated ensuring appropriate escalation where appropriate
* Ensure the appropriate governance for committee meetings is in place and highlight issues in a timely manner when appropriate
* Strong interpersonal skills, capable of developing relationships with individuals across the Bank at all levels and comfortable in managing through influence
* Project management experience or able to demonstrate the ability in managing numerous tasks and projects simultaneously and delivering quality outcomes to strict timelines
* Ability to 'synthesise' information from different sources and produce concise summaries of the key messages into high quality papers for Senior Boards and Committees
* Experience of cross functional businesses and projects
* Experience of managing people including Senior Management expectations, standards and quality
* Understanding of Governance responsibilities of the CEO including but not limited to key products, key roles, Operating Model and Strategic Agenda
* Ability to understand financials (e.g.)
About the Company
Standard Chartered Bank started in 1958 in UAE with its first branch in Sharjah. The Group’s business gradually increased in Dubai with the opening of several branches and today, Dubai is the administrative hub of the Middle East and South Asia Region. In its 43rd year, the Bank enjoys the position of having the most extensive branch network among foreign international banks in UAE with 10 branches emirate-wide.
Standard Chartered is an international bank, focused on the established and emerging markets of Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America with an extensive global network of more than 600 offices in over 50 countries. The three principal business groups are Global Markets, Personal Banking and Corporate and Institutional Banking.
In UAE, we are one of the leading banks, offering an extensive range of products and services for personal customers, local companies, multinational corporate and financial institutions.