Job description / Role
Our client is currently looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual to join our Data Center Engineering Operations Team in their new Data Center Region in Bahrain. This committed group works to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports our Data Center Organization within Amazon. Specifically, this team works to ensure that the data center operate at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the teams and groups within the data centers.
Operations and Maintenance:
• Ownership of all Data Center changes/events/incidents/problems from beginning to end as well as overseeing the completion of post-mortems, root cause analysis and follow-up resolution actions.
• Responsible for ensuring maintenance/ repairs of site-critical facility infrastructure or a Data Center are planned and executed to the best interest of the business.
• Responsible for Asset and Inventory management.
• Develop and maintain method statements, standard operating procedures, emergency response procedures, preventive maintenance programs, and all technical documentation. Ensure standardization and consistency with best-in-class operating practices. (Technical Writing Skills and Automation)
• Develop a complete, deep knowledge of the design intent, operational alternatives and contingency plans related to all Data Center systems.
• Manage the engineering aspects of the Data Centers related to financial and cost control, code and regulatory compliance, personnel management, staff training and development, Health & Safety, local statutory requirements, environmental and energy management.
• Develop and deliver the regular engineering reports and ensure adherence to contracted deliverables including SLA’s and KPI’s.
• Communicate operating philosophies, technical information, objectives and expectations to Amazon personnel and to the vendor critical facilities management teams.
• Providing hands on facility support where required (e.g. installation of new equipment, decommissioning of equipment, replacement of faulty equipment, internal audits…etc.)
• Oversee technical compliance auditing and the effective and timely close out of corrective action plans. Perform annual operational reviews with a focus on compliance with the Amazon standards and all applicable regulatory requirements. (Audits).
• Manage the development and delivery of the portfolio of Energy/Environmental Management Programs.
• Keep abreast of Data Center industry innovation.
Incident and Emergency Response:
• Reviewing incident reports, documenting periodic trend summaries, and providing updates and recommended actions to management.
• Managing information flow during incidents while providing regular updates to management.
• Manage and coordinate with vendors to resolve any incidents during emergency situations. This may require to physically be dispatched on to site to investigate and resolve the issue.
• At least two years of experience of Data Center operations and on-call support for Data Center facilities.
• An undergraduate degree in a technical field (EE, MechE, IndustrialE);
• An excellent understanding on the nature of mission critical systems (Data Centers, Hospitals, Power plants, military facilities, etc.).
• The candidate needs to be a self-starter and independent worker.
• Ability to solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
• Previous vendor negotiation and management skills for Data Center and/or upgrade construction contracts.
• Ability to write and review accurate and complete support procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries.
• Shows good judgment and instincts in decision making under pressure.
• Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment.
• Proactively and continually improve his/her level of knowledge about Amazon’s business and relevant technologies.
• Able to demonstrate his/her ability to take ownership of technical issues brought to him/her by his/her customer base. If the candidate is unable to resolve certain issues by themselves, he/she should demonstrate a willingness to actively engage other support teams to drive it to resolution.
• An interest in work subject matter that ensures that the teams are kept abreast of all relevant industry standards changes and innovation practices.
• An excellent understanding of the Electrical systems in critical Data Center operations that include but not limited to utility substation feeds, transformers, switchgear, VFI Class UPS, DRUPS, PDUs, ATS, STS, SLA/VRLA batteries and associated systems, diesel/gas turbine generators and related fuel systems, Surge Suppression, Active Harmonic Filtering, battery monitoring systems, branch circuit monitoring systems, SCADA systems.
• An excellent understanding of the Mechanical systems in critical Data Center operations include but not limited to CRAC/CRAHs/AHUs, chillers, cooling towers, storage tanks, chemical system, heat exchangers, piping systems, pumps, valves, duct systems, fans, dampers. An excellent understanding of other facilities systems used in Data Centers and Mission critical facilities, including but not limited to fire detection and suppression systems, plumbing and drainage systems, Building Monitoring Systems, automatic control systems.
• An excellent understanding of design, procurement, suitability of application, testing and commissioning.
• Certifications/Accreditations that will be viewed positively: PMP; Prince2; ITIL v2/3; BICSI; ASHRAE, CDCP/S/E or equivalent
About the Company
RP International is the leading specialist recruitment consultancy in the established and emerging telecoms markets.
From our hubs covering the Americas, Europe the CIS, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific we have partnered with operators, vendors, systems integrators and consultancies in more than a hundred countries, giving us an in-depth understanding Of cultural sensitivities, local business practices and hiring requirements.
Our clients and candidates benefit from the long-term perspective and breadth of knowledge that comes from working with an industry partner.
From our beginnings providing telecoms expertise into deregulating markets, we have developed our range of services to supply executive search, contingent, contract and launch and transformation resource solutions across the industry.
Our historic success in cross-border search assignments connects our clients to a global network of industry talent.
We identify the best available candidates on a local, regional and international basis.
Data Centre Linux and HW Engineer
RP International (RPI)
IT Infrastructure Specialist (Networks)
Regional Cluster Lead - New Data Centre Region
RP International (RPI)
IT Infrastructure Project Manager