Job description / Role
Design Director - 5* Hospitality - Shanghai, China
The Design Director assists the Studio Director in supervising the professional Interior Design staff and also provides leadership, and assumes responsibility for project staffing, client relationships and project excellence in a given office. The candidate will have extensive experience in all phases of interior architectural projects and management.
On all of the projects the candidate may serve as the primary contact with clients, consultants, and public agencies. Along with the Studio Director the candidate may be responsible to determine the standards for the projects development. The candidate must have substantial knowledge of interior contract preparation and use. Organizes and leads contract negotiations while providing leadership to project teams. The candidate is responsible for developing schedules, manpower allocations, and budgets on all assigned projects.
The Design Director is expected to demonstrate creative design skills, high standards, sound judgment and professionalism. It is also essential to help the organization by passing on your knowledge to others and by supporting a continuous learning environment. Coaching and mentoring employees must be regarded as a high priority. Team building, motivation and quality control are also key responsibilities.
The Design Director will have specific client, employee development, financial and internal business practice targets and strategic goals. The performance indicators will be measured against these established targets and goals. Additionally, and very importantly the Design Director will be expected to focus globally as well as locally; to cross-sell services; and to demonstrate strong commitment to collaboration and resourcefulness throughout the firm.
Through proper utilization of resources and personnel this position has total responsibility for thorough completion and overseeing of the following:
- Marketing materials and delivery,
- Integration of service lines,
- Proposal creation and negotiations,
- Project management
- Project conceptualization / definition
- Client Presentations
- Client Management
- Budgeting for the Interior Design Division expenses
- Review of Interior Design Projects expenses
- Site inspection
- Hire qualified staff in the right mix to grow the interior design division
- Assign qualified staff to their highest and best use
- Internal business practices (standards, specifications, quality control)
- Establish guidelines for interior design services
- Provide and promote learning and development opportunities to raise the capabilities and quality of design of the staff through coaching and mentoring
- Understanding of accounting and business management
- Complements and works with the Studio Director and the Managing Director on regional office issues and resolutions
B.A. in Interior Design, Interior Architecture or Architecture and extensive experience in designing large interior projects including 5* urban and resort hotels is required.
- Extensive level of proven business development expertise.
- Extensive experience and proven ability in the use of AutoCad, Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Extensive experience and proven ability in interior design and, graphic design concepts such as, but not limited to hand sketch case work, vignette scenes, hand coloring, rendering interior drawings, area take offs and shop drawings.
- Extensive proficiency and understanding of FFE Quantity Matrices.
- Extensive proficiency and understanding of imperial and metric measuring and drawing.
- The substantial ability and experience in independently designing major areas within the hotel and or commercial interior design project arena.
- Substantial experience in interaction with clients regarding proposals, negotiations and budgets and client presentations.
- Extremely strong project management skills.
- The willingness and ability to travel.
- Must have the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Extensive proficiency and experience in creating profiles and construction interior details, including millwork and casework.
- Substantial experience with customer relations, sales and marketing.
- Substantial and proven abilities in interfacing with clients, consultants, vendors and internal staff.
- The substantial experience in coordinating, delegating, mentoring and giving feedback to subordinates.
- The proven ability to take on a leadership role with subordinates and project team.
- The ability to understand and implement complex concepts, practices, and procedures within the interior design field.
About the Company
maptalent are experts at delivering quality recruitment and human capital solutions across the Middle East, United States and United Kingdom.
Having highly experienced teams based out of our offices’ in Dubai, Los Angeles and Birmingham specialising in the recruitment of professionals across a wide range of sectors including contracting, power, energy, consultancy, architecture, infrastructure, fit-out and mechanical electrical engineering.
maptalent is a partner managed business with staff we consider to be the best in their field. With nearly 80 years combined international recruitment experience maptalent has capacity to provide challenging and successful recruitment solutions.
If you are looking for a position in the Middle East, USA or the UK or you are wanting to find out where maptalent can add value to your recruitment process then get in contact.