Job description / Role
Line of Service
Advisory - Other
Job Description & Summary
In Cyber Security we deal with some of the most urgent issues facing businesses and governments today. We help organisations from all sectors operate securely in the digital world and play an integral role in helping our clients ensure they're protected.
PwC's UK based ethical hacking team is the global Centre of Excellence for Ethical Hacking at PwC. Our vision is to become the premier global Ethical Hacking team - the first point of call for FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 clients looking for a true partner. As a manager in this high performing team, you will have responsibility for assisting clients in testing the effectiveness of security controls in both the technology and human process spaces. No technology based solution can completely prevent human error - we work closely with our clients to become their trusted advisors offering far more than commodity penetration testing.
Using blended teams of experts from across our Threat Intelligence, Incident Response and Ethical Hacking teams, we provide customised solutions that meet the business objectives of our clients. PwC UK provides real world attack simulation services to clients across the globe from our base in the UK and as a manager in this team a significant part of the role will be supporting and managing red teams.
The team is made up of specialists from many backgrounds - from red teaming, software development, computer networking, systems administration, hardware testing, reverse engineering, as well as those that have spent their entire careers working in the cyber security industry. Our strength lies in our continuing expansion of our capabilities, our flexibility, our curiosity and our investment in training and research to ensure we develop our people to become world class experts in their chosen specialisms.
As a Red Team Manager you will be working in line with CRESTand other relevant industry standards in order to deliver attack simulation services at the highest levels into our clients. Our clients are some of the largest global organisations and come from all sectors including a significant proportion from our traditional background in the financial services sector. All share a key objective and want to understand the risks they face from real world threats so we package up individual work programs to meet their needs. We increasingly see questions coming from company boards and risk committees asking the questions that only an effective adversary simulation exercise can answer.
The candidates we are looking for are ideally a current or previously qualified CREST Certified Simulated Attack Specialist (CCSAS) or Certified Simulated Attack Manager (CCSAM). Candidates should have experience scoping and delivering high level red teams but also with good experience testing network infrastructure and applications as these skills are essential when performing lateral movement and gaining access to target platforms. Much of our work involves targets with capable monitoring and incident response teams and modern EDR platforms so experience bypassing common products and demonstrating strong operational security awareness is important.
You must be a confident and experienced consultant able to work directly with clients with strong credibility amongst peers - possibly through public speaking or vulnerability disclosures.
PwC provides staff with training and revision time to facilitate professional development and progress through industry exams. Our people are, where possible, encouraged to undertake a UK government security clearance as part of this role.
As a Red Team Manager you will have the opportunity to:
- Deliver and manage relatively complex client engagements requiring the use of offensive security tools and techniques to to identify weaknesses in client IT environments by legally breaking into computer systems, websites, mobile applications and wireless platforms as part of real world simulated attack scenarios;
- Research a variety of topics including: advanced evasion techniques for enhancing our red team capabilities and other novel techniques and capabilities;
- Contribute to the creation of new private and public tooling to enhance deliver capabilities;
- Work with a world leading Threat Intelligence team to deliver full package solutions to clients looking to answer both the "who" and the "how" questions for possible attacks;
- Work closely with a dedicated development team to research and weaponise new vulnerabilities and techniques for bypassing endpoint security solutions;
- Manage and mentor junior staff through sharing of professional and technical skills and experience;
- Maintain and develop relationships with iconic clients, understanding their needs, producing proposals to address them and providing risk based recommendations on security matters
- Conduct and manage a variety of testing including: red teaming, infrastructure testing, both internal and external; application testing of both web and proprietary applications and protocols; mobile systems testing including RF and WiFi solutions;
- Research a variety of topics including: advanced evasion techniques for enhancing our red team capabilities, embedded devices such as IIoT/IoT; Scada/ICS, automotive; cryptography techniques and implementations; novel techniques and capabilities;
- Work with clients to review and enhance the security of key platforms such as Azure AD, Office 365 and a variety of supporting cloud platforms including IaaS and SaaS.
- Write risk based reports and attend customer delivery meetings;
- Act as a technical SME for collaborative projects with other business teams such as Incident Response, Threat Intelligence, Crisis Response and Cyber Security Advisory;
- You can also expect to perform the following business development activities
- Meet with clients to understand their needs and help produce proposals
- Develop toolkits and methodologies to enhance our sales and delivery capability
- Contribute to research, public blogs and whitepapers to improve our public profile
- Attend and speak at conferences within the Information Security community
- Collaborate to develop new and innovative security services for our clients
- Develop new and innovative security services for our clients
- Work with our outreach teams to support schools, colleges and universities in showing the next generation the opportunities available in the cyber industry.
Skills and experience
- Significant practical experience delivering a range of ethical hacking services to customers;
- Expert user of both Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Highly experienced in using commercial security testing tools and strong track record of interpreting and triaging results, and producing management reports.
- Good working knowledge of Azure AD, Office 365 and common cloud hosting platforms.
- Extensive knowledge of security testing requirements and techniques, demonstrated by Cyber Security Industry qualifications such as CREST* SAS, SAM, CCT or OSCE;
- While not prerequisites, the following will be advantageous:
- Exposure to database technologies, multi-tier, web based and cloud based IT architectures;
- Knowledge of security technologies (e.g. AV, SIEM, IDM, IPS, F/W, SSO, DLP)
- Degree in computer science, cyber or STEM subjects or demonstrate professional development, industry qualification and practical experience;
- Experience of assessing native mobile applications under both iOS and Android;
- Experience of reverse engineering binary applications and network protocols;
- Experience of performing security-focused source code reviews of large-scale applications;
- Background in software development and application testing;
- Experience of internal or external consulting or audit engagements;
- Excellent business communication skills, including writing proposals, initiating client engagements, leading workshops, writing reports, and delivering presentations to clients;
Who we're looking for
We are looking for individuals that thrive in a high tech, entrepreneurial environment such that they are comfortable working independently with little supervision and have a strong desire to learn and a willingness to share knowledge. We are looking for individuals who thrive in a team environment and who understand that we are far more than the sum of our parts when working collaboratively both with colleagues and also with clients and third parties.
People that succeed in our business have a passion for cyber security, are naturally inquisitive and get a buzz from solving complex problems. Furthermore, they have a good attention to detail allied with exceptional analytical and technical aptitude. Most of all, they are or have a desire to be excellent communicators as we are in a business founded on strong relationships.
We're one of the world's leading professional services organisations. From 158 countries, we help our clients, some of the most successful organisations on the globe, as well as its most dynamic entrepreneurs and thriving private businesses, to create the value they want. We help to measure, protect and enhance the things that matter most to them.
The skills we look for in future employees
All our people need to demonstrate the skills and behaviours that support us in delivering our business strategy. This is important to the work we do for our business, and our clients. These skills and behaviours make up our global leadership framework, 'The PwC Professional' and are made up of five core attributes; whole leadership, technical capabilities, business acumen, global acumen and relationships.
About the Company
At PwC Middle East, we’ve set out an ambitious purpose and strive to live it everyday: to solve important problems and build trust in society.
We’re a community of solvers that come together in unexpected ways to build trust and create sustained outcomes. We solve important problems, support one another as we grow, develop and build fulfilling careers.
PwC provides industry-focused services for public and private clients across Assurance and Audit, Deals, Consulting, Tax and Legal. We draw on our development legacy that brings together the collective experience of over 7,000 people in our region with offices across 12 countries to solve for tomorrow.
We’re striving to consistently deliver innovative work that builds trust and delivers sustained outcomes. And we’re proud of the strength that comes from all our diﬀerent backgrounds and experiences and we value everyone’s uniqueness. We thrive in uncertainty, operate with integrity and leverage the diverse perspectives of our teams.
If you’re looking for a place that fuels your ambition to make a difference, that matches your curiosity with continuous learning opportunities and reimagines ways of working to enable you to lead a more balanced life, then you’re a future PwCer.