Job description / Role
Do you thrive in fast paced and highly ambiguous environments that challenge your analytical abilities and creativity? Want to be part of an ever growing third-party sellers in Egypt marketplace team? we are seeking a Category Merchant Manager (CMM) to shape the future of our 3rd party marketplace.
The CMM role offers the unique opportunity to own a sizable portion of a category P&L while also driving large scale, high visibility projects across different Amazon teams. The successful candidate will be a strong project manager with deep analytical abilities, and will ideally over-index in ownership, bias for action, deep dive, invent and simplify, and deliver results leadership competencies. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and possess a passion for retail, a high level of flexibility ability to prioritize.
The breadth and depth of experience gained in the CMM role will equip a candidate to rotate into other roles across Amazon on their path to become among Amazon future leaders. The Category Merchant Manager will have several key responsibilities within the 3rd party Marketplace side of the business, including:
- Category strategy and ownership: Work closely with Category Leadership and account managers on planning and business strategy, drive best-in-class customer experience and maximize Selling partners selection and sales growth through timely analysis and initiatives .
- Maintain category's on-going reviews: own category's weekly/monthly/quarterly reviews via establishing a tracking mechanisms to enable team track their progress while recommend best track of action to grow/recover
- Define category's growth opportunities: Identify key business opportunities of your categories via spotting popular brands, trends, and pricing to ensure managing the sellers toward a growth plan; deploying detailed deep dives and data analysis
- Seller management: Identify and lead Selling partners partnerships, manage large Sellers and enhance overall Seller experience with better self-service and reporting resources.
- Technical project management: Automate and scale the category level growth via new selection, product listing quality and instock opportunities. Partner with other teams to drive automation and scalability across the organization.
- Category/3P project management: Work within the marketplace org to establish and execute a 3P level projects/programs.
Key job responsibilities
The successful Category Manager must be able to:
- Act as the 'business owner' for his/her categories, possessing a complete understanding of internal and external variables that impact our business (this entails owning forecasting, monitoring, understanding and reporting on the category, along with responsibility for driving strategic projects to achieve business objectives)
- Maximize Amazon's long-term business profitability
- Have a complete understanding of the customer needs, both existing and potential, and use that knowledge to deliver site features that provide Amazon customers with an unparalleled shopping experience
- Create business plans and initiatives for new opportunities and develop and execute project plans for the launch of new features
- Coordinate cross-functional teams, and communicate with internal and external stakeholders, while meeting tight deadlines for high visibility projects
- Conduct financial analysis of business opportunities to meet and exceed revenues targets
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Finance, or related field
- 8+ years of professional experience influencing internal and external stakeholders in complex and dynamic environment ideally in e-commerce, technology, FMCG, retail or top-management consulting
- A strong background in product management, vendor/partner management, management consulting, or finance is required with related business experience.
- Well-versed in Excel and SQL
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret large amounts of data and make sound business judgments and recommendations
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write succinct and compelling written business proposals and recommendations for senior audiences
- Proven track record collaborating successfully with internal and external partners
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to deal with ambiguous problems
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically with strong attention to detail
- Operates as a team player and has a positive attitude
- MBA or related Master's preferred
- Excellent analytical and data-mining aptitude
- Proven ability to manage large and complicated projects with experience leading cross-functional projects and teams
- Strong proficiency in analysis tools including Microsoft Excel, SQL, and statistics software
- Ability to think and react in a high-energy, fast paced environment
About the Company
Amazon.ae, formerly Souq.com, is an English-Arabic language e-commerce platform, owned by Amazon, Inc. It is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world. On March 28, 2017, Amazon.com Inc. confirmed it would be acquiring Souq.com for $580 million. On May 1, 2019, Souq.com became known as Amazon.ae.