Job description / Role
What we offer
Our company culture is focused on helping our employees enable innovation by building breakthroughs together. How? We focus every day on building the foundation for tomorrow and creating a workplace that embraces differences, values flexibility, and is aligned to our purpose-driven and future-focused work. We offer a highly collaborative, caring team environment with a strong focus on learning and development, recognition for your individual contributions, and a variety of benefit options for you to choose from. Apply now!
ABOUT THE ROLE
SAP is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to work within its Field Legal Organization in the Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) region. Based in Egypt, you will be a part of the EMEA Field Legal Team and will provide legal expertise for SAP and its business teams, particularly SAP's sales teams, across the region. Primary responsibilities include drafting and negotiating multiple complex technology cloud, service, license, and related agreements to help achieve SAP's business growth strategies and objectives, within SAP risk tolerances, while maintaining SAP policies, and complying with applicable laws. In addition, the position might support other internal lines of business/practice areas such as marketing, bankruptcy, procurement, etc. You will act as a prime contact for the relevant sales and related business teams and provide legal advice and counseling focusing primarily on cloud agreements, as well as on a wide variety of matters, including intellectual property, licensing, data privacy, and license compliance matters.
You will need to demonstrate the ability to draft and negotiate complex agreements, working with SAP's Centralized Deal Support ("CDS") and Commercial Finance teams in their drafting of cloud agreements (focusing on the legal aspects), work with sales and services professionals, pricing and revenue recognition teams, and others, in a fast-paced environment. The ability to work with a team across a wide organization is critical. This position spends a significant amount of time in customer facing negotiations. Experience in the Cloud (software-as-a-service) sector is strongly preferred.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
- Effectively structure, draft, redline, and negotiate with customers complex terms and agreements including cloud agreements, software licensing, professional services agreements, data processing agreements, etc. in support of SAP's Cloud, Software, and Services business.
- Work closely with internal Sales, Pricing, Revenue Recognition, Centralized Deal Support teams during the drafting and negotiation process.
- Serve as an escalation point for Shared Services, Commercial, and Sales Teams for legal and contracting issues.
- Support SAP's corporate business goals and objectives by serving as a true business partner, balancing legal risks appropriately against the commercial objectives whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant policies and procedures of SAP.
- Identify contractual risks and suggest alternatives that lead to optimal solutions. Working cross-functionally with sales, finance, and operations teams to ensure that contractual terms are compliant with legal, regulatory, and company policies and risk preferences.
- The ability to integrate legal, business, technical, and practical analysis, and a high level of motivation, are essential.
- Assist in handling various field and corporate legal matters, including but not limited to, bankruptcy, privacy, IP and claims management.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Provide senior legal services.
EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Graduation from accredited law school.
- Meets applicable requirements to practice law in Egypt with existing in-house experience specialized in commercial contracts.
- Common law experience (with a strong preference for English law experience).
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills, experience with and expertise in negotiating key terms for Cloud Agreements, such as data protection, data analysis, security, compliance/regulatory, limitation of liability terms, etc. would be beneficial.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload independently.
- Hands-on, confident, autonomous, self-motivated and must enjoy working within a changing and dynamic organization, able to work under pressure and strong enough to stand own ground.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and communications skills.
- Excellent/Fluent English and Arabic language skills - written and oral.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide timely responses to client base, providing sound legal advice with appropriate business perspective.
- Able to influence colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- 5+ years of appropriate legal experience
- Experience in providing legal counsel to sales teams
We are SAP
SAP innovations help more than 400,000 customers worldwide work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively. Originally known for leadership in enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, SAP has evolved to become a market leader in end-to-end business application software and related services for database, analytics, intelligent technologies, and experience management. As a cloud company with 200 million users and more than 100,000 employees worldwide, we are purpose-driven and future-focused, with a highly collaborative team ethic and commitment to personal development. Whether connecting global industries, people, or platforms, we help ensure every challenge gets the solution it deserves. At SAP, we build breakthroughs, together.
Our inclusion promise
SAP's culture of inclusion, focus on health and well-being, and flexible working models help ensure that everyone - regardless of background - feels included and can run at their best. At SAP, we believe we are made stronger by the unique capabilities and qualities that each person brings to our company, and we invest in our employees to inspire confidence and help everyone realize their full potential. We ultimately believe in unleashing all talent and creating a better and more equitable world.
SAP is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to the values of Equal Employment Opportunity and provide accessibility accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities.
About the Company
Headquartered in Walldorf, Germany, SAP is the world's largest business software company with more than 51,500 employees at sales and development locations in more than 50 countries worldwide.
Our global development approach focuses on distributing development across the world in strategically important markets. A global network of SAP Labs spanning Bulgaria, Canada, China, Germany, Hungary, India, Israel, and the United States, enables SAP to operate locally, yet organize globally.
As the global technology research unit of SAP, SAP Research significantly contributes to SAP's product portfolio and extends SAP's leading position by identifying and shaping emerging IT trends through applied research and corporate venturing. SAP Research has highly skilled teams in 11 research centers worldwide.