Job description / Role
Do you want to help build a world-class institution from the region, experience the thrill of being part of a high-growth technology company, and improve people's lives?
There is only one way to build an awesome company: to attract exceptionally talented people who are aligned with the mission of the company and make them partners in success. At Careem, our mission is to simplify the lives of people, initially through solutions that make transportation in the region reliable, and over time, through disruptions in payments and logistics. In the process, we want to build an organization that inspires and become a world-class institution from the region.
We have had a phenomenal start. Founded in 2012 by former entrepreneurs and McKinsey alums, Careem is an innovative transportation service operational in 50+ cities from Morocco to Pakistan. With 30% monthly growth, we are one of the fastest growing companies in the region. Our recipe for success has been a team that thrives on challenges, is passionate about solving problems, is not afraid to work super hard, and is a true partner in the company through generous stock option grants. We have attracted strong regional and international investors and are positioned on the cusp of significant scale. Read more about us in the New York Times or Arabian Business.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The purpose of the Tax Accountant role is responsible for tasks related to month and quarter end close for the region.
Key responsibilities include:
- Deliver a full range of tax services in compliance with laws and regulations within time frame and provide excellent planning, consulting and expertise.
- Consolidate and maintain record to comply advance income tax quarterly
- Consolidate and maintain record to file monthly WHT/Stamp Duty/ VAT.
- Consolidate and maintain record in advance regarding regular notices.
- Filing monthly and annual income tax statements
- Prepare computation to file monthly withholding income tax return for 'Salary' and 'Other than Salary'
- Supervise withholding tax and income tax treatment on payments.
- Update tax rates (for customers and suppliers) in ERP system; as and when required
- Handle income tax and WHT/Stamp Duty/ VAT audit related queries.
- Actively coordinate with tax advisors on all tax related matters.
- Provide advice to suppliers and customers in notices received by them.
- Prepare certificate of withholding income tax & WHT/Stamp Duty/ VAT.
- Apply Compliance to Government Authorities against notices.
- Correspond with suppliers and customers regarding withholding tax deduction at source; and any other tax related matter
- Review agreements and contracts and advise with regards to the tax implications.
- Provide innovative tax planning and review complex income tax returns.
- Identify and mitigate tax risks.
- Coordinate with accounting staff of clients in taxation compliance.
- Preparation and Management of tax provision and tax compliance process.
- Improve processes by developing or implementing best practices.
- Maintain tax balances on general ledger.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
Additional qualifications include:
- Ability to get hands-on in a complex operational environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work to tight deadlines
- Good technical proficiency, literacy skills and a competent computer user
- Strong Accountancy experience good analytical skills and good understanding and working knowledge of book keeping
- Educated to BS/MS level (or equivalent) within a subject relevant to the position such as Accounting, Finance, or Business Management
- From 4 to 5 years of Tax working experience.
- Preferably ACCA/CMA/CIA
We offer an attractive total compensation package, with emphasis on equity compensation, excellent health benefits and monthly Careem credits. You will have a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing company on the ground floor and shape its direction.
About the Company
We are a brand that aims to simplify people's lives by revolutionizing the transportation industry. A brand that strives to inspire everyone it interacts with, and supports every single person who dares to believe. #BeCareem
Careem is the MENA region's leading ride-hailing service and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 50+ cities across 11 countries and host over 6 million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
A Leading Multi-Disciplinary Planning and Design Firm in UAE
Swisslinx Middle East
A Leading Oil Trading and Shipping Company in the UAE
Noor Al Hilal