Job description / Role
Amazon Exports and Expansion (AEE) team is a central organization responsible for launching new Amazon ecommerce markets across world, supporting custom wide features for the emerging markets (Middle East, Australia, Singapore, Turkey, Brazil to name few) and creating new features to enable cross country product selection, purchase and fulfillment features to enable Amazon exports in the world. The team takes care of technology business needs of these markets end to end and key functions range across marketing, retail, 3P, pricing, DEX, CX, finance of these marketplaces.
AEE is looking for an Applied scientist who will work and build ML capabilities in the MENA and other emerging markets. Currently the team is working on wide range of ML problems starting from predicting Customer lifetime churn and Prime churn rate program predictions, forecasting best pricing to offer new selection, profitability programs like MOQ (minimum ordered quantity), price elasticity. Team is looking forward to build delivery experience related models to solve the unstructured address data problems in MENA and other geographies and score these addresses. There will be additional complexity which will come to tune these models as per local language compatible, considering multiple language support on our websites. Other programs in our pipelines are related to abuse detection happening on websites related to payments, inventory hold and rejections by fraud customers. Your role will require you to demonstrate Think Big and Invent and Simplify, as we believe to build solutions which are reusable across markets and scalable as data grows. The models will help these markets to improve profitability and customer retention rates with improved deliveries, the three main key broader goals of our org for 2021.
There will be end to end ownership in terms of strong association with stakeholders, building models independently and deploying it to production along with fellow SDEs. Periodic opportunities in terms of conducting ML hackathons for emerging markets, paper presentation to director plus leadership to fast move business and improve our overall growth.
You will be expected to:
- Leverage knowledge of statistics and optimization to frame decision-making problems for MENA region
- Build statistical models required to measure the impact of each system and platform
- Predict future customer behavior and business conditions through machine learning and predictive modeling
- Use analytical and predictive techniques to build models for optimizing and target specific products
- Translate prototype models to production quality, large scale software systems
- Present proposals and results in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
- PHD or MS in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
- Hands-on experience in applying theoretical ML models in an applied environment
- Proficiency in model development, model validation and model implementation
- Expert in more than one or more major programming languages (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, or similar)
- Work well in a fast-moving team environment and effectively deliver technical implementations having complex dependencies and requirements
- 2+ years of hands-on experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
- Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field
- Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high commercial impact
- Experience with defining organizational research and development practices in an industry setting
- Proven track in leading, mentoring and growing teams of scientists
About the Company
Amazon.ae, formerly Souq.com, is an English-Arabic language e-commerce platform, owned by Amazon, Inc. It is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world. On March 28, 2017, Amazon.com Inc. confirmed it would be acquiring Souq.com for $580 million. On May 1, 2019, Souq.com became known as Amazon.ae.