Senior Engineer - Protection and Automation
Khatib & Alami
Job description / Role
K&A Engineering Consultants, India, a member of the K&A Global Holding is one of Middle East's leading multi-disciplinary engineering consultancies. K&A is ranked #5 in the Middle East and #38 globally in the Top International Design Firms by ENR . Our Energy Business established for over three decades provides consultancy, engineering, detail design and field support services to clients for planning, implementation, operation, performance and management of Electrical Transmission & Distribution Networks in the Middle East and Africa . In view of our growth plans we currently have an opening for Senior Engineer- Secondary Systems (Protection and Automation) for overseas projects delivered from our office in Bangalore, India.
Projects include Protection and Control, SCADA, Substation Automation System (SAS), and Telecoms for utility and industrial/commercial clients for substations, generation, distribution and transmission systems.
The selected candidate will be part of Power & Renewables team and will be key to its growth and delivery of projects. This is an ideal opportunity for individuals looking to grow their career with a well-known MNC engineering consultant.
- Work as part of K&A Power & Renewables team.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for successful completion of assigned projects and for maintaining and improving client relationships as well as developing and growing new technical service areas.
- Plan engineering project deliverables with stakeholders
- Preparing & reviewing the design schemes, analysing and creating the technical requirements; recommending design concepts/ modifications based on client requirements.
- Apply guidelines, processes and systems to lead to best practice.
- Contribute to network security obligations.
- Identify and implement improvements to design and processes.
- Technical competence in engineering, roles as well as leadership competence in working with clients and mentoring, supervising team members assigned to projects.
- Perform engineering design, design review and validation.
- Provide conceptual and preliminary design, detailed design, option analysis, scope and specification of SAS, Control and Protection systems.
- Other duties as directed commensurate with individual's skills.
Control and Protection Experience:
- Experience in utilizing protection relays in power system applications and developing solutions for automation solutions including protection logic diagrams, specifications, CT & VT SLD's and CT & VT Sizing calculations, Annunciation, TFR, point list etc.
- Complete Control and protection design development, document, review for new, existing protection system (Protection modifications). This includes preparation of logics, control & protection schemes, adopting to practices, device evaluation, T&C protocols and application to all power system equipment's.
- Configuration, testing & commissioning of protection and control systems with IEC 61850 utilizing multi-vendor products.
- Protection system coordination functions for MV, HV, EHV & UHV transmission network.
- Calculate protection and control settings.
SCADA & Substation Automation System Experience:
- Provide conceptual, preliminary design, detailed design, option analysis, scope and specifications of substation automation and control systems.
- Experience in implementing (including configuration etc) SCADA/RTU, SAS with all protection relays.
- To prepare SAS & SCADA drawings such as Architecture, Schematics, Gateway, Server Panel Drawings, SCADA panel Schematics, SCADA & SAS Point list, HMI views according to customer specifications.
- Extension of SAS System.
- SCADA RTU's Expansion or Upgradation works.
- Networking and Communications: design and configure network and communication paths for Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), SAS equipment and Intelligent Electronic Devices (IEDs).
- Applicable network and communication protocols: DNP, Modbus, SEL Communication Protocol, Goose Messaging, IEC 61850, TCP/IP, UDP, Ethernet, as well as other legacy utility protocols.
- Specify and design communication networks including data security and availability; develop basic specifications for fiber optic (DVM, SDH, PSE, PDH etc), microwave, power line carrier, or radio communication System;
- Understanding user's problem and provide technical solutions.
- Preparation of status reports, procedures for analyzing report progress of the project to stakeholders and end user/clients
- Lead day to day liaison with Middle East and Africa PMs and engineers to ensure project deliverables are developed in accordance with client scope, budget, project schedule and quality requirements.
- Diligent check and review of the deliverables to assure quality.
- Support the Design Manager with resource and other management duties.
- Providing leadership, training, guidance and instruction to new staff members.
- Support project teams, marketing, business development, and technical support.
- Provide support to preparation of proposals, case studies and project presentations.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor or Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized University.
- Minimum 10 years relevant design experience in engineering environment with Utilities, EPC Contractors or Design Consultancies.
- Able to independently generate project deliverables.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills within the engineering environment.
- Should be familiar with industry codes and standards and have experience as the technical lead on projects.
- Knowledge about latest IS, IEC, IEEE, EN, NEC and other international standards.
- Demonstrable track record of technical achievement and client satisfaction within the power industry.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions.
- Foster technical innovation, acquisition of expertise and support a continuous improvement culture.
- Willingness to travel to Middle East, Africa & other locations for short term assignments as per project requirements.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
- Ability to build rapport with customers and colleagues.
- Well-motivated and able to work as part of a team or on individual assignments as required.
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams.
- Flexible approach to work.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
About the Company
Khatib & Alami, a multidisciplinary urban regional planning, architectural and engineering consulting company, offers clients an integrated approach toward the ever-increasing need for reliable project delivery systems. In-house expertise and the continuous recruitment of bright and innovative professionals enable us to meet the challenges of development with due consideration to environmental protection, social and economic characteristics of society. In close concert with clients, we have been able to consolidate factors that make the resultant project coincide with the client's vision within the time frame and budget set out for implementation.
K&A started its consulting services in Lebanon and extended the areas of its professional activities in accordance with the growth of its experience, and its human and financial resources. The company operates in various countries including Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Sultanate of Oman, State of Qatar, State of Kuwait, Kingdom of Bahrain, Yemen, Jordan, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Libya, Sudan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Belgium, Gabon and USA. K&A employs around 4,000 professionals and technicians. Since 1984, K&A has continuously ranked among the top 100 International Design firms as published by Engineering News Record (ENR). K&A has also obtained the ISO 9001:2000 certification for its Quality Management System (QMS).