Job description / Role
AUIB seeks a strategic, collaborative, values-driven leader to serve as the Associate Dean of the College of Dentistry. The Associate Dean will hold and ambitious vision for AUIB Dentistry that harnesses the talent, creativity, and diversity. The Associate Dean will support the dean who is the administrative and educational head of the College of Dentistry.
This Position Will Be Responsible For:
• Recruiting and retaining the College's clinical faculty and staff in response to programmatic needs and encourage their professional development.
• In consultation with the chairs/directors of the concerned departments/divisions and appropriate committees, as specified in the policies, recommend to the college Dean the appointment, tenure, promotion, retention, sabbatical leave, annual salary increase and retirement actions of any faculty member and administrative officer of the College.
• Developing the clinical component of the curriculum of the College.
• Developing clinical continuing education and post-graduate programs to develop the advanced skills of practicing dentists.
• Securing, in consultation with the Dean, the necessary accreditation and regulatory affairs associated with the profession and practice of Dentistry.
• Establishing the necessary academic quality assurance system within the College, in the line with those of the University as a whole leading to programmatic accreditation.
• Overseeing, in consultation with the Dean, the appointment of academic staff and other technical and support staff of the College.
• Representing, in the absence of the Dean, the College at meetings of the university, professional associations, governmental agencies, and other groups.
• Developing the College practice and training facilities and create an environment that facilitates research and scholarly activity.
• Delegating duties to appropriate individuals or groups whenever indicated.
• Assuming other responsibilities and perform other duties as may be prescribed the College Dean or other appropriate administrative officers of the University.
Candidates for this position must have:
• DDS, DMD, Ph.D. or highest professional qualification in Dentistry and be a graduate of an accredited dental school.
• Leadership experience in relevant academic Institutions / Universities for at least 10 years.
• Evidence of academic and research innovations with a track record of scholarly and professional practice leadership in the field.
• Demonstrated success in enhancing and advancing patient care, education, and research programs.
• Demonstrated success in securing private, corporate, and/or governmental support to advance the college's mission.
• Demonstrated success in managing and leading a complex organization undergoing change.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to listen and understand the needs of faculty, staff, and students; and the ability to build strong relationships with internal and external constituents.
• Effective decision-making and conflict resolution skills.
• Solid understanding of dentistry clinical practice, procedures, and scheduling.
• Demonstrated accomplishments in research and scholarship.
• Operational understanding of American university educational systems.
• Preferred experience working and living in the Middle East.
About the Company
AUIB is an American-style, nonprofit university located next to the Baghdad International Airport in Baghdad. This large-scale, multi-million dollar project is funded by Iraqi and U.S. donors, both public and private. The university opens for students on Jan. 17, 2021, with the College of Arts & Sciences, College of International Studies, and the College of Business. Eventually, there will be 10 colleges at the university, including a College of Medicine.