Job description / Role
AUIB as a new American University in Iraq is committed to supporting, economic and cultural development of Iraq through the development of an innovative, comprehensive and accessible higher continuing education provision, to be rolled out in the coming years. Together with Nursing, plans are already well advanced for the development of a range of health-related colleges in the university, to include Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy and Law.
We invite applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Nursing.
AUIB seeks a strategic, collaborative, values-driven leader to serve as its next Dean of the College of Nursing. The Dean will set a bold and ambitious vision for AUIB dentistry that harnesses the talent, creativity and diversity.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• In consultation with the chairs/directors of the concerned departments/divisions and appropriate committees, as specified in the policies, recommend to the VP Academic Affairs the appointment, tenure, promotion, retention, sabbatical leave, annual salary increase and retirement actions of any faculty members and administrative officers of the College.
• Recruit and retain the College's faculty and staff in response to programmatic needs and encourage their professional development.
• Developing the curriculum of the College.
• Ensuring the effective delivery of the academic programs of the College.
• Developing a coherent teaching and learning strategy in the College.
• Developing and implementing the College’s assessment system.
• Securing the necessary accreditation and regulatory associated with the profession and practice of Nursing.
• Establishing the necessary academic quality assurance system within the College, in the line with those of the University as a whole.
• Overseeing the appointment of academic staff and all other technical and support staff to the College.
• Preparing and managing the annual budget of the College.
• Lead the research strategy of the College.
• In consultation with the Council, the Faculty Assembly, or independently as appropriate, appoint members to standing and ad hoc committees as needed for the proper operation of the College.
• Serve as Chairperson of the Council and preside over the Faculty Assembly during special meetings to recommend the granting of degrees and certificates.
• Represent the College at meetings of the university, professional associations, governmental agencies and other groups.
• Create an environment that facilitates research and scholarly activity.
• Develop and promote public service among members of the College of Nursing community.
• Promote the College of Nursing through fund-raising and alumni activities.
• Delegate duties to appropriate individuals or groups whenever indicated.
• Assume other responsibilities and perform other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Trustees, the President, and VP Academic Affairs or other appropriate administrative officers of the University.
Candidates for this position must have:
• Have Doctoral degree (Ph.D, Ed.D or DNP) in Nursing and be a graduate of an accredited university.
• Leadership experience in relevant academic Institutions / Universities for at least 10 years.
• Evidence of academic and research innovations with a track record of scholarly and professional practice leadership in the field.
• Demonstrated success in enhancing and advancing patient care, education, and research programs.
• Demonstrated success in securing private, corporate, and/or governmental support in career to date.
• Demonstrated success in managing and leading a complex organization undergoing change.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to listen and understand the needs of faculty, staff, and students; and the ability to build strong relationships with internal and external constituents.
• Develops and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives across the College and amongst faculty, staff and students.
• Effective decision-making skills.
• Solid understanding of nursing practice, procedures, and scheduling.
• Demonstrated accomplishments in research and scholarship.
• The Dean of College of Nursing will report directly to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Procedure for Candidacy:
Applications should include a curriculum vitae, current formal photo and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references, within the last three (3) years. Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Confidential review of materials and screening of candidates will begin immediately.
Please send your application with supporting documents online.
About the Company
The American University of Iraq - Baghdad is a diverse and inclusive community of scholars dedicated to the mission of bringing a quality, American-style university education to the young people of Iraq and the larger region. AUIB does not discriminate in its hiring or admissions on the basis of race, creed, gender, or religious affiliation, but welcomes everyone to work and study here. All expatriate faculty and staff are provided accommodations on campus in private apartments.
Opening its doors in the Fall of 2020, AUIB is now hiring faculty in a number of positions for its Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Business, International Studies, and Health Sciences. AUIB began as a dream of influential individuals in Iraqi and United States business, industry, and government who want to see a world-class institution of higher learning established in Baghdad, reminiscent of the days when the capital city was an educational mecca and flourishing capital of the Muslim world. With a grand library, palatial college buildings and student centers, state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories, and athletic facilities, AUIB will be a beautiful campus attracting students, faculty, and staff from throughout the world. We invite you to join us in this exciting new venture!