Job description / Role
This position will report to the Dean of College of Education. The successful candidate will responsible for all business and personnel functions, administration, recruiting and supervision of full and part-time teachers. The position resolves student and employee issues, creates a bridge between the program and the credit courses of the university, serves the local and international community and the university through training, work activities, and individual support.
This position will be based in Bagdad, Iraq.
The job responsibilities will be as follows:
- Develop and implement the mission and vision of the ELA and aligning it to the overall goals of the University.
- Ensure the overall quality and continued development of the curriculum, instructions, assessment, and student services.
- Ensure the curricular is aligned to the University’s goals.
- Identity and realize new programmatic opportunities.
- Monitor procedures for placement testing and assessment in English Language courses and programs.
- Monitor and articulate English language testing policies for the university.
- Oversee the daily operations of the ELA.
- Ensure that Assistant Director have the support and resources they need to manage their areas and identify areas of teamwork and collaboration.
- Resolves student problems, counsels’ students and manages teacher and student issues.
- Maintain ELA standards.
- Write required reports and documents, and create processes for ELI functions.
- Keep up with current trends to ensure policies and processes remain up to date.
- Develop and implement new policies and processes and adopt innovations as appropriate
- Oversee teacher hiring, orientation, and professional development.
- Directs daily activities of ELI Programs, personnel and student body
- Manages ELI's teaching and administrative technology through planning and purchasing.
- Conduct performance reviews of teachers and staff.
- Collaborate with academic and administrative units across the university to develop programs that meet and strengthen the mission of the ELA and the university.
- Assist in project as requested by VPAA and/or Deans of the various Colleges.
- Perform any adhoc tasks from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in English and / or Literature;
- Teaching certification (TESOL / DELTA) or teaching Certification;
- Minimum of 5 years in Director or Managerial role;
- Minimum 10 years teaching experience;
- Native-English speaker.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Decision Making;
- Excellent Communication and Interpersonal Skills;
- Friendly, tolerant and patient;
- Problem Solving Skills.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience;
- 2-year contract renewable for additional 2 years;
- On-campus accommodation;
- 1 x Flight to and from home country.
About the Company
The American University of Iraq - Baghdad (AUIB) is a Non-Profit University and it will officially open its doors on September 1, 2018. The University will begin with the English Language Academy (ELA) and with advanced preparation for the opening of four colleges including the College of Arts & Sciences (applied sciences, social sciences, and humanities); the College of Business (marketing, finance & banking, and management); and the College of Global Affairs & Public Policy (security and strategic studies, international relations, and public policy). All classes are taught in English and students are required to pass 8 levels of English in the ELA before being admitted to the baccalaureate program.