This position is closed or expired.
See other Civil Engineering jobs
Essentially the role will encompass the following objectives;
• To plan specific work and to provide cost estimates which are:
- fully auditable
- assessed for accuracy, uncertainties, risk and contingencies
- are in accordance with the authorised estimate plans
• satisfy Client and internal Management presentation requirements
The candidate will often required to work on several estimates concurrently and to supervise assigned staff post office establishment.
The type of estimate and its presentation and completion dates are determined by others. The completion date is invariably critical and a major problem for the incumbent is overcoming the inevitable gaps in availability of reliable data. The Principal Estimator requires a high degree of evaluative judgement to enable the successful completion of the complete estimate.
The work is dependent on the contribution of data by other departments to achieve the required objectives. Hence good personal relationships with all senior staff in other departments are essential.
- All Estimating functions on projects and proposals as further noted below.
During the office establishment and setup phase, the responsibilities will be delivered by the individual, although as the office develops this will evolve into the supervision and direction of the Estimating personnel. The candidate is responsible for the following activities:
- Check all available documentation relative to an assigned estimate to ensure that the work will satisfy the estimate plan and Client requirements. Identify conflicts, if any, between the estimate plan and Client requirements in order to bring them to the attention of Group Management along with the assigned Proposal/Project Manager
- Plan work to meet the required schedule with minimum use of overtime. Work planning includes expediting the planned inputs from other workgroups to ensure the maintenance of the estimate schedule
- Ensure that estimating is carried out in accordance with approved practices and published procedures, except as modified within the estimate plan. This includes checking and assessing input from other workgroups for acceptability, obtaining revisions as necessary
- Assemble and collate the final estimate of costs, work hours, quantities, and present them for review to Proposal/Project and Company management as required within rocedures
- Analyse areas of uncertainty and risk within an estimate and make recommendations of a cost allowance to bring the estimate to the required confidence level and of a contingency amount to cover risks
- Maintain detailed records of all costs, work hours, quantities, etc. forming part of the base estimate cost and of all changes, e.g. during proposal negotiations, arising after formal approval of the estimate
- On contract award following a proposal, assist in the preparation of the Interim Control Estimate or Initial Approved Cost as the basis for allocating cost and work hour budgets to the project team
- Maintain familiarity with external estimating and costing developments, technology and activities
- Assist management in the development and maintenance of historical records needed to support the day-to-day work of Estimating, for assigned area of responsibility
- Seek out training opportunities to enhance his own estimating abilities and make appropriate recommendations to Management
The successful candidate will be working as part of the Operational division to serve all business units and product lines and will be required to attend the London Offices for a period of time in order to become familiar with internal policy, systems, procedures and best practice, prior to returning to Iraq for duty. The role will potentially require visits to various site locations as required and also an element of International travel in line with the Operational requirements
Overall operational knowledge of Engineering and Construction with a minimum of 10 years progressive professional experience, 50% of which should relate to Cost or Estimating or equivalent experience.
• English as a second business language is essential
• Knowledge within an Engineering discipline and/or Construction environment is desirable
About the Company
Morson International is a world-leading technical recruitment consultancy enjoying a number of successful, long-term partnerships with major blue-chip clients, often being positioned as sole or preferred supplier. In many instances this is delivered on a managed vendor basis where we act as the "Managing Agent" controlling the entire recruitment process.
- Aerospace and Defence
- Support Services
- Oil and Gas