Job description / Role
• Project Manager – Fit out
• Construction Manager (Mechanical / Electrical)
National Paediatric Hospital Development Board
The construction of a new children’s hospital in Dublin, co-located with a major adult hospital, is a key commitment in the Programme for Government and the largest project within the Government’s Capital Plan.
The new hospital will deliver tertiary acute services to children from all over Ireland and secondary acute services to children from the Greater Dublin Area. It will play a central role in the provision of excellent paediatric healthcare services throughout Ireland and will be the primary centre for paediatric education, training and research in Ireland. The new facility will bring together the services currently provided on three sites - Crumlin, Temple Street and Tallaght - to serve children in Ireland for many decades to come. It will be a child-centred and world-class facility that will support innovation and excellence in paediatric healthcare and create an environment that is supportive of children, young people, their families and hospital staff.
This project is a unique opportunity to transform the provision of healthcare services to the sickest children in Ireland.
The National Paediatric Hospital Development Board (NPHDB) is responsible for delivering the new hospital, ensuring optimal design, on time and within budget.
Purpose of the Role:
The role of the NPHDB is to plan, design, build and equip the new children’s hospital. The Project Fitout Manager – Construction will oversee the work of the Design Team and the Contractor and report to the Construction/Commissioning Director.
Key Performance Criteria related to the post are:
• Effective and proactive Project planning, the ability to operate with autonomy supported by a a team, with a focus on deliverables within the programme.
• Assist the Development Board in achieving the objective of constructing, commissioning and handover of the new national children’s hospital, to optimal design and quality on time and within budget. This will involve daily site inspections.
• Liaise and work effectively with the Children’s Health Ireland as Client and other key stakeholders such as the HSE and the Department of Health to ensure that the hospital is completed as per the agreed design, and is fit for purpose.
• To ensure that project elements are developed to optimise effective timescales for the project.
Reporting & Working Relationships:
• The Project Fitout Manager - Construction will report directly to the Construction/Commissioning Director of the NPHDB. and will work in close partnership with the the NPHDB Executive, the Design team and the Children’s Health Ireland.
The proper execution of duties will involve the development of appropriate communication arrangements with key stakeholders both internal and external.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the strategic completion of this project for the NPHDB
• Work with all relevant stakeholders to develop the vision for the new children’s hospital development project, which builds on the achievements and history of the existing hospitals and continues to develop as a world class facility
Planning and delivery:
• To review and comment on the Contractors fitout and completions programme incorporating all elements of the project
• To contribute to the project reporting and control system which will enable the Board to meet its governance and reporting obligations, particularly in respect of tracking project timelines
• To assist in the development of appropriate critical path analysis and Gannt charts for the project with the NPHDB Project Controls Manager and the Design Team
Managing Resources & Performance:
• Undertake clear reporting mechanisms for the project and implement clear communication processes for the Board and management team
• Inspection of the works for compliance with specification, quality of workmanship, relevant standards and adherence to programme
• Quality checks on and off site
• Contribute to the implementation of an appropriate risk management strategy for the project
• Responsibility for ensuring the project adheres to the highest quality standards within your designated area.
• Assess the contractor’s performance against the construction programme, monitor progress, develop suitable reporting systems and reports.
• Develop strategies to ensure the project is delivered on programme
• Communicate on behalf of the NPHDB where required
• Liaise and engage with the Children’s Health Ireland as client for the project in relation to the brief and any aspect of the project as may arise
• Consult with and to maintain and develop relationships with key stakeholders as appropriate
Governance and reporting:
• Provide appropriate and timely information, reports and advice to the Construction/Commissioning Director
• Manage the production of weekly and monthly project updates and related information
• Review and monitor quality, cost and timely delivery of the project by external consultants and contractors appointed by the Board
• Keep the project delivery status under constant review and ensure that all short- and long-term project requirements are adequately provided for.
• The standard working week applying to the post is 40 hours net.
• The annual leave associated with the post is 30 days.
EUR 100,000 to 1,400,000 per month inclusive of fixed allowances.
Additional benefits: 30 days paid holiday plus public holidays
Qualifications and experience:
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
• Registered Architect or Chartered Engineer with degree in Engineering, Architecture or Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or other relevant discipline and ideally a recognised formal qualification in Project Management.
• Possess strong communication and excellent leadership skills.
• Demonstrate the requisite and appropriate management skills to manage timely delivery and effective performance from the appointed Design Team.
• 15 years minimum senior design management experience; experience with projects in excess of €50 million, experience of healthcare design and construction environment essential.
• Proven experience in the fitout of complex hospital buildings
• Must be computer literate (MS Office, AutoCAD, and other relevant IT packages)
• Be familiar with Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) tools and software, including the implementation and management of Building Information Modelling (BIM) system of integrated design delivery.
Skills, Competencies and/or Knowledge:
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong evidence of the following skills and competencies:
Leadership and Direction:
• Demonstrate an ability to work, manage and direct under pressure in a collaborative project environment.
• Demonstrate a strong capability to manage the key stakeholders in tandem with the critical construction milestones.
• Managing in a Complex Environment
• To issue clear and timely communication with follow up reports, minutes, agreed outcomes etc. to ensure all design and fitout reviews are managed in a proper and effective manner.
• To lead the coordination and presentation to the project team of regular design and fitout progress reviews ensuring agreed project deliverables are presented at agreed milestones.
• To ensure client key stakeholders’ comments and requirements are taken on board and are considered in the development towards an outcome of the final construction solution.
Critical Analysis and Decision Making:
• Has the ability to analyse and evaluate, in a rational, objective, consistent and systematic manner, a range of complex information and identify the core issues and arguments at hand.
• Has the ability to consider the range of options available, involving other parties at the appropriate time and level, and makes balanced and timely decisions; is confident in own judgement.
• Shows a strong degree of self-sufficiency and is capable of personally pushing proposals and recommending decisions on a proactive basis while actively suggesting improvements and adapting readily to change.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills:
• Strong communication and reporting capabilities are a requirement of this role.
• Possess a track record of successfully managing a large multidisciplinary team on similar large-scale projects and effectively communicating client requirements to the design team.
Personal Commitment and Motivation:
• The candidate should have a desire for continuous professional development and innovation demonstrating an ability to motivate others for the benefit of the project.
About the Company
Propel Consult delivers a service in step with the needs of both our client companies and candidates. Our ability to add value to all levels of recruitment stems from our wholehearted belief in providing a professional service to both parties. We have built relationships with many leading indigenous and mulitnational organisations throughout the Middle East and internationally in countries such as UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Egypt and many more. Concentrating our resources has created 5 distinct specialist divisions:
- Banking & Finance
- Human Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Architecture & Engineering
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Construction Project Manager
|Abu Dhabi||14 Mar|
Rider Levett Bucknall
The Highfield Company
|Saudi Arabia||20 Apr|
MEP Project Manager