Job description / Role
Trade Compliance teams ensure that Amazon transactions satisfy legal requirements to file complete and accurate export and import declarations with local customs and other government authorities for international shipments. Global Trade Compliance (GTC) and Global Trade Counsel are responsible for procedures for assigning and reporting correct and accurate import and export classifications, customs values, and country or origin. These data elements are used by local customs, tax or other government authorities to determine, among other things, the rate of duty, the amount of duty and tax, and the exportability/admissibility of the shipment. Consequences of inaccurate declarations include delays, underpayment or overpayment of duties and taxes, fines or penalties, seizure, and revocation of import or export privileges.
‘Trade Compliance’ provides import and export classification to Amazon.com ASIN's by ensuring Amazon Inc is committed to comply with laws and regulations of the countries in which it conducts its business, and their respective import, export, trade, customs and other relevant agencies.
As a Senior Compliance Associate, you will get multiple opportunities to develop your functional expertise and offer the autonomy to make decisions, implement ideas, and measure results. We firmly believe in learning on the job, and from Day 1 you will be on a fast track to becoming an industry expert.
You will be joining one the Trade Compliance Team and review the export restrictions of a country or economic bloc, to ensure that Amazon complies with International Trade Regulations and Customs.
Your job responsibilities as a Trade Compliance Specialist may include:
- Classify products based on SOP within SLA’s
- Manually classify ASIN’s with HTS/ECCN codes based on business requirements
- Follow SOP and instructions provided by managers
- Write rules to auto-classify ASIN's with HTS/ECCN codes based on the detail page/CSI page information
- Create marketplace specific Rationales as input reference for the rule writers
- Provides ideas for process improvements to enhance process efficiency, quality and customer experience
- Analyze and identify patterns in large data sets.
- Respond to stakeholders with guidance and flags any updates to Lead/Manager
- Optimization and standardization of global trade processes and best practices within Amazon’s internal businesses.
- 3-5 years of experience in HTS & ECCN classification, with strong knowledge in Import & Export regulations, Free trade agreements (FTA), Country of origin (COO) and customs clearance knowledge
- Flawless command of both Arabic & English Language, written and verbal.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and other office applications
- Strong attention to details
- Ability to attend custom work hours as required, meetings with colleagues from different time zones, handle promptly work related emergency when they occur, that can include customized weekends or work different shifts rotation.
- Ability to analyze and identify patterns in large data sets
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Fluent in a third Language
- Experience in:
- Ecommerce or Retail industry
- Leveraging technology to drive process improvements.
- Regulatory compliance management with government agencies.
- Lean Six Sigma and other process improvement tools.
- Tableau & SQL
About the Company
Amazon.ae, formerly Souq.com, is an English-Arabic language e-commerce platform, owned by Amazon, Inc. It is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world. On March 28, 2017, Amazon.com Inc. confirmed it would be acquiring Souq.com for $580 million. On May 1, 2019, Souq.com became known as Amazon.ae.