Job description / Role
Amazon Compliance Operations is looking for a smart, energetic, hard-working, and creative candidate to join our team. The successful candidate shows excellent judgment and instincts in decision making and proactively and continually improves their level of knowledge about Amazon’s business, its platform, and relevant technologies. This is an exciting and challenging position that provides Trade Compliance support as a Subject Matter Expert contributing to Amazon’s successful adherence with worldwide import and export customs requirements.
The Compliance Operation group is an integral part of Amazon online product lifecycle and buying operations. The team is designed to ensure Amazon is compliant in the online retail space. The team’s primary role is to directly serve our customers by ensuring that only compliance with local import/export regulations across multiple countries globally. The tasks handled by this group have a direct impact on shipment of the product and catalog selection. We are looking for a strong leader to drive compliance program management initiatives.
The position is responsible for supporting Amazon’s worldwide compliance program primarily focusing on Middle East regulatory requirements. By supporting compliance approaches while creating innovative solutions that move at internet speed this position will have an opportunity to apply SME level knowledge in new and exciting ways. We are looking for a talented Trade Compliance Subject Matter Expert who has direct experience with global customs regulations, supply chains and and executing compliance strategies in a fast paced environment.
Applying SME level knowledge of HTS classification and Middle East regulations, to create disruptive and innovative solutions to customs compliance. Inventing and simplifying processes and requirements to enable vendors, and supply chain to expand selection and availability globally.
- Develop best-in-class processes and systems, and drive continual improvement.
- Drive scalable business solutions which ensure compliance with consumer product regulations
- Communicate technical regulatory requirements to non-technical stakeholders
- Write rules to auto-classify ASIN's with HTS/ECCN codes based on the detail page/CSI page information
- Manually classify ASIN’s with HTS/ECCN codes based on business requirements
- Ensure that U.S. regulatory requirements are met for products and support other functions such as Retail, Supply Chain, Transportation, Customer Service, and Legal.
- Proven ability to manage large and complicated, cross-functional projects.
- Develop best-in-class processes, systems, and standard operating procedures as well as drive continual improvement.
- Work cross-functionally and manage compliance training and awareness raising programs in retail, operations and sales teams.
- Communicate technical requirements to non-technical stakeholders
- 4+ years of experience in HTS classification, with strong knowledge in Import & Export regulations, Free
- Flawless command of both Arabic & English Language, written and verbal.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and other office applications
- Ability to attend custom work hours as required, meetings with colleagues from different time zones, handle promptly work related emergency when they occur, that can include customized weekends or work different shifts rotation.
- Ability to analyze and identify patterns in large data sets
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of trade compliance processes and the interplay with global supply chains
- Strong presentation and training delivery experience.
- A mix of compliance and project management experience
- Ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Good problem solving skills: acts decisively, promptly and confidently. Not afraid to contradict others and proactively offering solutions.
- Excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems that may not have one clear answer
- Fluent in a third Language
- Middle East Customs Requirements
- Trade agreements (FTA), Country of origin (COO) and customs clearance knowledge
- ECCN Classification
- Regulatory compliance management with government agencies.
- Ecommerce or Retail industry
- Leveraging technology to drive process improvements.
- Lean Six Sigma and other process improvement tools.
- Tableau & SQL
- Tech, textiles environment, electronics, consumer goods, or other fast-paced, technology driven businesses a strong plus.
About the Company
Amazon.ae, formerly Souq.com, is an English-Arabic language e-commerce platform, owned by Amazon, Inc. It is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world. On March 28, 2017, Amazon.com Inc. confirmed it would be acquiring Souq.com for $580 million. On May 1, 2019, Souq.com became known as Amazon.ae.