Job description / Role
The Key Mandate for the CTO include:
* Support the Sales and Marketing function to obtain the appropriate underwriting profit by enhancing the current underwriting operations and processes; review the whole underwriting philosophy of the company and enabling the product development function.
* Demonstrate highly technical and knowledgeable underwriting capabilities to further enhance the company's mission.
* Develop and grow the company's personal lines offerings along with creating more sophisticated SME solutions.
* To improve the cost structure and improve service and quality of the reinsurance program through creating more synergies with the Underwriting operations.
* Propose more effective and efficient systems and procedures to continue to improve the operational effectiveness of the company.
* Works with Senior Management to develop coordinated plans across functional disciplines of Underwriting; assists the CEO develop and monitors the underwriting business plans and expense budgets and monitors and adjusts as requires.
* Leads in establishing and implementing a company underwriting culture, discipline and philosophy, backed by sound strategies and pragmatic goals subject to review and approval of the management team. This includes all aspects of the Underwriting operations (planning, staffing and evaluation, automated tools and workflow, ensuring accuracy of data).
* Establish specific measurable business goals and expectations for the company and team, which are in line with objectives.
* Evaluate treaty and new products proposals, and review the policy wordings etc., prior to launching and the possibility of losses due to catastrophe or excessive insurance.
* Instill a culture of accountability by setting clear expectations, measuring results, rewarding the right behaviour and results, and addressing consequences.
* Monitors underwriting results and operations to manage the evaluation and audit of underwriting performance and to ensure compliance with corporate standards and regulatory requirements.
* Develops, communicates and maintains appropriate underwriting policies, standards and procedures, pricing levels, extent of liability to be assumed and, the scope of coverage offered in all underwritten lines of business.
* In conjunction with the Senior Management team, develop product and underwriting strategies to lead the underwriting efforts to continue to develop the Kuwait market.
* Assists in the preparation of the annual business plan.
* Work closely with actuaries to ensure competitive insurance premiums are provided and being able to cover any potential losses from claims.
* Provides account specific advice as required and fills in for "underwriting Authority " within the referral process.
* Directs efforts to increase levels of efficiency using automated underwriting tools.
* Continually monitor and review the "business side" effectiveness of the current underwriting system and seek improvements.
* Lead Treaty negotiations and seek improvement for each renewal.
* Liaise with specialists, such as actuaries, IT service providers, Finance and Risk Management to ensure all activities are streamlined.
* Develop MIS as appropriate.
* Manage various committees as Chair and others as a member.
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on any grounds.
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 12 to 15 year of underwriting experience with a reputable insurance carrier. Have experience across all relevant P&C lines and ideally Life and Medical Lines of Business as well. Be able to demonstrate personal knowledge in the underwriting of large P&C risks.
The candidate should demonstrate a background in managing claims departments and ideally been involved in major IT develop projects.
* Bachelor/Master's degree and/or at least ACII qualified
* The individual must have strong strategic planning and follow up skills as they will be involved in the Strategic Planning Office.
* Must have strong written and oral communication skills; must be able to strongly influence others; be persuasive and yet be a good listener and assimilator of ideas and perspectives.
* Ensures that plans and decisions are implemented in the most cost effective manner possible.
* Should be team oriented and enjoy building an organization that is contributing to the overall success of the company.
* The successful candidate will need to work at implementing strategy with people that do not report to them.
* Needs to be research oriented, in order to develop and utilize outstanding modeling tools. The individual must have the highest professional and personal standards.
* Must also have strong leadership characteristics and the presence to represent the company on committees and meetings as requested by Senior Management.
About the Company
Established in 1987, McGregor Boyall is a global recruitment consultancy providing permanent and contract / interim professionals across a wide variety of disciplines including Technology, Risk, Finance, Compliance, Legal, Marketing and HR & Talent Management. Since our inception, we have built an unrivalled reputation for helping organisations recruit the very best talent to ensure that they realise their business and operational objectives.
Headquartered in the city of London, and with further offices throughout the UK (Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow) as well as globally in Dubai and Singapore, we are able to offer recruitment solutions throughout the UK & Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific regions.