Job description / Role
Linum Consult’s client is working on a major rail project in the Baltics. They are currently in need of a Chief Technical Officer (CTO) who will manage all technical aspects of the rail project in cooperation with national beneficiaries, implementing bodies and key external stakeholders. You will be responsible for technical aspects of studies, design and construction of the high-speed railway line. You will manage the technical requirements for the Project and carry out reviews to ensure the construction adheres to the requirements. This unique and challenging position will be based at their head office in Latvia.
The CTO shall have the following specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Plan, develop and manage all technical aspects of the highspeed railway project and advise on most desirable and cost-effective solution.
• Organise and structure the Technical Department to cope with all aspects and challenges at all stages of the Project.
• Lead and manage the personnel of the Technical Department.
• To set project design and construction standards and procedures, considering interoperability, engineering specifications, environmental issues, safety and security, future operability and asset management, to select and implement a unified software solution, modelling of railway operations, apply innovative solutions.
• To perform checks and audits on the adherence to the standards set in the Design Guidelines (Program Management Division and national implementing bodies).
• Research, establish and integrate new technologies to advance the success of the project development.
• Ensure railway interoperability and long-term sustainability.
• Evaluate and ensure technical part of project development in compliance with technical standards, requirements and policies.
• Cooperate with national, and international stakeholders and communicate with internal and external project developers.
• Coordinate technical aspects of the cross-border maters and interests, build consensus and sustainable relationships.
The CTO shall have the following Management Board member Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Act as part of the Management Board with its relevant competencies and joint responsibilities.
• Support the CEO in the development of the company’s strategy, incl., but not limited to technical matters, functions of business units reporting to the CTO.
• Perform strategic stakeholder consultations with a view of developing the strategy and long-term corporate goals in line with the Global Project’s master plan, financing and other agreements.
• Promote effective goal-oriented relationships and open communication and creating an environment that allows constructive debates and challenges, both inside and outside the Management Board meetings, allowing to align and effectively execute decisions.
• Plan, develop and ensure effective implementation of activities entrusted to the company by the project beneficiaries and implementing bodies in the project countries.
• Coordinate cross-border matters and interests between member countries, consensus building and sustaining relationships, as well as coordinating constant communication with the public about the project’s progress.
• Oversee and control project development processes including evaluation of execution and financial performance.
• Report to the Supervisory Board and shareholders, national governments, European Union agencies as well as state and EU audit institutions.
• Cooperate with public and non-governmental organizations and media.
• Supervise transparent public procurement tenders.
• Ensure that the company’s operations fully comply with the EU and Latvian laws and regulations in the respective field of business, incl. ensuring full compliance with all the Latvian tax laws and accounting standards.
• Master’s degree with specialization in Civil Works, Railway Engineering or other relevant technical science.
• Project Management Professional education / certification would be considered an advantage.
• Candidate should be fluent in business English and knowledge of one of the Baltic languages would be considered an advantage.
• Internationally experienced senior executive level business manager and a team-leader able to cope with the multinational, multilingual and multicultural nature of the joint venture.
• The ideal candidate will have held a senior executive position in a company or organisation delivering a major high-speed rail construction or re-construction project.
• Effective practice of EU regulations in railway design and construction.
• Full understanding of railway complexity, interface and interworking of all components.
• Civil work engineer (preferably), with experience in alignment, geotechnics, construction of linear infrastructure.
• Knowledge of railway systems and interface management: track, electrification, signalling, telecoms.
• Experience in planning of significant railway infrastructure construction and /or reconstruction / modernization of existing railway in operation.
• Understanding of railway operation and maintenance requirements.
• Technical management experience in project-based organisation.
• Experience in management of complex internal and external stakeholder networks.
• The right to live and work in the EU
To apply, please send your CV online outlining your experience as per the job description and your current financial package and notice period.
About the Company
Linum Consult is a niche global consultancy specialising in international recruitment of white collar workers across the Construction & Engineering, Mining and Oil & Gas sectors. We provide a full 360 consultancy service for clients, candidates and partners to eliminate the potential pitfalls of international mobilisation.
All Linum Consultants are industry experts with in country, international, multi-cultural experience. We provide precise market information combined with local knowledge to help facilitate informed decisions that are often life changing.