Job description / Role
Line of Service
Internal Firm Services
IFS - Risk & Quality (R&Q)
Job Description & Summary
A career in Risk Management, within Internal Firm Services, will provide you with the opportunity to advance and foster integrity based decision making and conduct by PwC professionals throughout our organisation. You'll focus on promoting and monitoring compliance with applicable external laws and regulations as well as internal policies and procedures to help manage PwC's regulatory, litigation, and reputational risk.
Our Risk and Quality team identifies and assists internal teams to mitigate and control client engagement risks. As part of the team, you'll provide advice to business teams within PwC on sound contract provisions, standards and approaches in accordance with PwC policies, principles and standards.
As a manager you will act as an Independence Business Partner and will operate across all PwC lines of service in the Middle East. You will contribute to the development and to the
update (where necessary) of the independence policies and guidance related to scope of services and business relationships across the ME region. You will contribute to the preparation
and delivery of training to engagement teams where necessary and will be responsible for escalating any issues to other senior members of the independence team as you help
engagement teams maintain independence and compliance according to regulatory rules and requirements.
In addition, you will be responsible for performing initial scope of services reviews under the relevant independence standards, overseeing analysis of Joint Business Relationships and
other related enquiries and consultations. You will also be supporting other Independence senior managers and directors in coaching the junior members of the ME Independence team
based in UAE and Lebanon.
You will act as the front line for the business and will be providing smooth, efficient and effective independence advice to the client facing teams in relation to their area of service and acting as a sign post to direct teams to the appropriate business partners for other relevant specialist support.
The independence manager will operate with a pragmatic mindset and be solution oriented whilst acting with integrity. Demonstrating an ability to balance risks identified with maintaining a commercial outlook in their approach to answering queries. The role is more than just following policy or processes and includes applying business judgement, understanding of the business, its operations, products and services. The Business Partner should build deep relationships with Partners within the business and across all LoS.
As a Manager, you'll work as part of a team of problem solvers, helping to solve complex business issues and articulating the independence position. PwC Professional skills and responsibilities for this management level include but are not limited to:
• Take action to ensure everyone has a voice, inviting opinions from all;
• Establish the root causes of issues and tackle them, rather than just the symptoms;
• Initiate open and honest coaching conversations at all levels;
• Move easily between big picture thinking and managing relevant detail;
• Anticipate stakeholder needs, and develop and discuss potential solutions, even before the stakeholder realises they are required;
• Develop specialised expertise in one or more areas;
• Advise stakeholders on relevant technical issues for their business area;
• Navigate the complexities of global teams and engagements;
• Build trust with teams and stakeholders through open and honest conversation;
• Uphold the firm's code of ethics and business conduct;
• Support the team with the independence monitoring activities and reporting requirements to ME leadership such as the Archer process;
• Contribute to the annual Quality Management for Service Excellence (QMSE) process and the Archer/risk assessment reporting.
Primary duties and responsibilities
• Support Independence Team Lead in budget preparation particularly in relation to resourcing, training, etc.
• Ensure cost efficiency of all independence activities
• Adhere to the Independence budget
• Works effectively with other parts of the Independence function and the wider R&Q community
• Conduct second review for AFS documentation
• Provide support for AFS consultations
• Conduct second review for JBRs
• Where necessary, conduct second review for simple business relationships (vendor arrangements)
• Where necessary, provide second review for all PwC Sponsorships and similar events 2nd review
• Supports in the development of all independence policies, procedures, processes and controls
• Engages with Risk Team Leads to roll out and implement policies, procedures, etc
• Conducts studies on internal risk levels and provides analysis to Independence Team Lead
• Supports the Independence Lead in drafting Independence communications and alerts
• Suggests areas to capture in the annual plan/risk assessment
• Suggests improvement to the independence tools/systems, drafts business cases and liaises with appropriate stakeholders
• Consider enhancing and digitising/automating some independence processes to reach efficiency
Learning & Growth
• Meets with relevant business stakeholders and LoS R&Q Partners/teams regularly to ensure optimal relationships consistency of independence protocols within the wider R&Q requirements
• Responsible for continuing professional development for them and team members
• Acts as a key resource and liaise with other functional areas of the business, building cross-functional relationship
• A professional or academic qualification (degree level or equivalent), or extensive relevant and practical experience.
• Fluency in English required, proficiency in Arabic is advantageous
• 5+ years of relevant experience with 2+ years in a Risk and/or Independence role
• Client facing Experience in the Professional Services industry in a top tier Big 4 firm preferred
• Demonstrates intimate level abilities and/or a proven record of success within a rules and/or research based environment, preferably within a regulatory environment, compliance function or a client facing role of a global network of professional services firms, including the following areas:
• Consulting with the engagement teams on the application and interpretation of the independence rules established by IFAC (International Federation of Accountants), the
• Securities and Exchange Commission, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), or other independence/audit regulators;
• Support the independence senior manager in the preparation of initial assessment and in reviewing the AFS requests, other scope of services related consultation and business relationships;
• Performing reviews and reconciliations of engagement documentation and deliverable to engagement letters, audit committee communications, RFPs (request for proposals) and
• proposal documents, identifying any notable differences from an independence/scope perspective;
• Demonstrating critical thinking in analyzing complex issues with respect to the permissibility of non-audit service offerings or business relationships;
• Understanding and technical knowledge of offerings in one or more areas of Assurance, Tax, Advisory services;
• Having a commercial awareness and ability to apply knowledge to complex problems/Problem solving skills;
• Working independently towards completion of quality and timely reviews;
• Managing multiple stakeholders and demonstrating personal skills in time management and communication, both written and verbal, skills;
• Managing and reporting project status and escalating issues;
• Building a good understanding of the independence regulations in the ME region and showing flexibility in interpreting and applying the rules;
• Contribute to the preparation of independence communications, guidance and alert;
• Have an oversight role on all monitoring activities performed by other junior team members;
• Consulting and collaborating to develop strategies to solve complex technical challenges for our clients;
• Thorough understanding of general/international accounting standards and practices;
• Good understanding of core offering across the different Lines of Service;
• Capacity to build good relationships with the overseas independence Community;
• Thoroughness and attention to details; and
• Time management skills and proactivity.
About the Company
PwC firms help organizations and individuals to create the value they're looking for.
We're a network of firms in 158 countries with close to 169,000 people who are committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax and advisory services. PwC is the brand under which member firms of PricewaterhouseCoopers International Limited (PwCIL) operate and provide services. Together, these firms form the global PwC network.
In our 3 key areas of business or Lines of Service Assurance, Tax, and Advisory we work with our clients from business start ups to the worlds leading organizations to measure, protect and enhance the things that matter most to them.
We help our own people to learn, discover, develop and make a real difference all the way through their working lives. And we have big ambitions to grow.
PwC Middle East Region is part of what we call the Central Cluster and includes the UK, Europe and Africa as well as the Middle East. The region consists of 12 markets - UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, Iraq and Palestine.
PwC has been established in the region for over 40 years, we already employ over 4500 people and we are on course to become the Middle East number one professional service firm.