Job description / Role
Line of Service
Internal Firm Services
IFS - Finance
Job Description & Summary
The VAT accountant is responsible for handling all VAT activities for PwC ME Network entities under the supervision of the VAT manager and working together with the wider Firm Tax team as well as the Finance team and tax specialists across the ME region.
The main focus of the VAT accountant is to support the team in all VAT compliance functions. This includes optimising PwC's VAT position, managing tax risks, and understanding the VAT implications of cross border transactions and the operating model.
In addition, they will also support all VAT compliance and reporting. Activities and responsibility will include responding to tax questions posed by both IFS and LoS teams on VAT issues encountered in their day to day operations.
- Assist to develop a regional VAT strategy that is cognisant of local tax requirements and which, also optimises the overarching tax position of PwC.
- Works with Firm Tax and local Tax LoS Specialists to understand tax laws, regulations etc., and builds these specificities into tax strategy.
- Validates tax strategy with Tax LoS Lead for approval and further socialisation.
- Responsible for guiding transactions within the wider Finance Team to minimise VAT liabilities.
- Assist the VAT Manager in responsibilities around VAT compliance and reporting activities, ensuring adherence to submission / reporting deadlines.
- Provide inputs for all VAT audits conducted by Firm Tax/Global Team/External Auditors.
- Advise internal customers on most efficient VAT structuring for their operations, keeping in mind local tax regulations.
- Ensure on time submission of VAT reports on behalf of each operating entity.
- Report to both local leadership as well as global teams on all VAT activities, demonstrating compliance with global RM standards, VAT rulings.
- Prepares VAT compliance requirement for PwC ME Network entities within responsibility; works with VAT Manager to prepare VAT returns and ensures submission deadlines are adhered to.
- Organize and conduct special analyses as required.
- Deliver internal reports to F&A Team Lead, flagging key risks, exposures etc., as well as tax opportunities.
- Assist with effective VAT training and appropriate support for the business.
- Consolidate, analyse and challenge all VAT report inputs from LoS/local teams/other finance teams as appropriate.
Learning & Growth
- Forms part of both local finance community, regional tax community as well as global tax experts' community, and maintains appropriate relationships across the tax spectrum.
- Has the capabilities to deliver assignments efficiently.
- Capture templates and standards into a repository to build the team's own knowledge management database.
- Ensures adherence to policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the continuing professional development of self.
- Support internal knowledge management best practices, creating communities of practice both within own team and across wider function.
- Act as a key VAT resource and liaison to the VAT Manager, the Firm Tax Team and where relevant to other areas of the business, building cross-functional relationships as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Certified Practicing Accountant, Certified Tax Accountant or similar.
- Bilingual English/Arabic. Fluency in written and spoken English & Arabic.
- 3+ years of accounting experience.
- Previous experience with VAT required.
- Previous experience with other taxes would be an advantage.
- Experience in the Professional Services industry in a top tier Big 4 firm would be an advantage.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of general/international accounting standards and practices.
- High level of analytical and quantitative ability required to perform complex financial and transactional tax and accounting functions and ad hoc reporting functions, including proficiency with computer based modelling and analytic techniques.
- Ability to adhere to procedures, controls and policies for functional areas of responsibility.
- Organization, thoroughness, eye for detail, time management skills and proactivity required.
- Excellent people management skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required to effectively work with professional resources in accounting areas.
- Ethical conduct.
About the Company
PwC firms help organizations and individuals to create the value they're looking for.
We're a network of firms in 158 countries with close to 169,000 people who are committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax and advisory services. PwC is the brand under which member firms of PricewaterhouseCoopers International Limited (PwCIL) operate and provide services. Together, these firms form the global PwC network.
In our 3 key areas of business or Lines of Service Assurance, Tax, and Advisory we work with our clients from business start ups to the worlds leading organizations to measure, protect and enhance the things that matter most to them.
We help our own people to learn, discover, develop and make a real difference all the way through their working lives. And we have big ambitions to grow.
PwC Middle East Region is part of what we call the Central Cluster and includes the UK, Europe and Africa as well as the Middle East. The region consists of 12 markets - UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, Iraq and Palestine.
PwC has been established in the region for over 40 years, we already employ over 4500 people and we are on course to become the Middle East number one professional service firm.