Job description / Role
Line of Service
Internal Firm Services
IFS - Internal Firm Services - Other
Job Description & Summary
The ME Office of the General Counsel (OGC) Team operates across all lines of service and across the region to provide legal advice and support on a day-to-day basis to client-facing teams, with the goal of supporting the operation and growth of the business whilst taking appropriate risk decisions.
There are dedicated subject matter experts in each of the sub functions within the OGC team who are available to support and consult with partners and engagement teams on all legal, structural and dispute-related queries.
The lawyer hired for this position must operate with a pragmatic mindset and be solution-oriented. He or she must demonstrate an ability to balance risks identified with maintaining a commercial outlook in the approach to answering queries. The role is more than just following policies or processes and includes being flexible in applying business judgment, understanding of the business, its operations, products, and services. The lawyer should have deep relationships with partners and other senior engagement team members within the business.
- Adheres to the OGC Budget
- Support OGC members, ME Chief Risk Officer (CRO) and ME General Counsel (GC) on litigation matters arising in the UAE and elsewhere in the Middle East.
- Provide advice and support in relation to all legal matters, including drafting, researching legal issues, and providing interpretations of law and regulation to engagement teams to help them understand how regulations apply to the firm and to client engagements.
- Provide advice and support in dealing with a wide range of contentious or potentially contentious situations, including in relation to liquidators and bankruptcy situations involving clients or ex-clients.
- Liaise with external counsel and other stakeholders involved in litigation matters as appropriate.
- Provide updates to and work closely with Global firm R&Q and Global OGC teams as well as PwC UK OGC, on significant adverse matters.
- Provide advice to engagement teams and LoS R&Q teams on all legal related areas of risk during an engagement lifecycle.
- Liaise with other R&Q functions such as Independence, Compliance, AML etc for specialist advice.
- Build relationships with the relevant LoS R&Q Leader, other R&Q Leaders, and LoS / IFS Partners and engagement teams.
- Meet with the allocated LoS R&Q / IFS Leader to discuss key findings, areas of concerns and / or gather feedback.
- Consult and escalate to the LoS R&Q Leader / OGC ME General Counsel as necessary.
- Assist with producing guidance and templates, and assist with updating policies and procedures as necessary.
- Provide support and lead on sensitive matters.
- Assist with reviewing and redesigning processes if needed.
- Provide support to OGC projects as needed.
- Ensure compliance with the relevant PwC Network standards, policies, and procedures.
Learning & Growth
- Meet with relevant business stakeholders and LoS R&Q Partners regularly to ensure optimal relationships.
- Contribute to an environment of teamwork within the R&Q team.
- Act as a key resource and liaise with other functional areas of the business, building cross-functional relationships.
- A professional or academic qualification (degree level or equivalent), or extensive relevant and practical experience
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Strong English and fluent Arabic
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Relevant legal experience in the Professional Services industry in a top tier firm, relevant experience at a top law firm or multinational corporation, or relevant experience at a regulator required
- Prior people management and teamwork experience
- Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of the legal environment across the region and the UAE in particular
- Legal knowledge (commercial, corporate and/or litigation)
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong networking and capacity to build strong connections with Global, EMEA, external legal counsels, UK and other R&Q LoS communities
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong people management skills
- Risk averse/risk management skills
- Process oriented and strong internal control skills
- Ability to develop and implement procedures, controls and policies for functional areas of responsibility
- Organization skills and eye for detail
- Time management skills and proactivity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ethical conduct
Up to 20%
Available for Work Visa Sponsorship?
Government Clearance Required?
About the Company
At PwC Middle East, we've set out an ambitious purpose and strive to live it everyday: to solve important problems and build trust in society.
We're a community of solvers that come together in unexpected ways to build trust and create sustained outcomes. We solve important problems, support one another as we grow, develop and build fulfilling careers.
PwC provides industry-focused services for public and private clients across Assurance and Audit, Deals, Consulting, Tax and Legal. We draw on our development legacy that brings together the collective experience of over 7,000 people in our region with offices across 12 countries to solve for tomorrow.
We're striving to consistently deliver innovative work that builds trust and delivers sustained outcomes. And we're proud of the strength that comes from all our diﬀerent backgrounds and experiences and we value everyone's uniqueness. We thrive in uncertainty, operate with integrity and leverage the diverse perspectives of our teams.
If you're looking for a place that fuels your ambition to make a difference, that matches your curiosity with continuous learning opportunities and reimagines ways of working to enable you to lead a more balanced life, then you're a future PwCer.