JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Preparation of cost plans at various design stages in accordance with RICS professional practice.
• Measurement of building work items, compiling unit rates and compiling the final cost estimate report in in accordance with RICS professional practice.
• Managing the complete tender process in accordance with best practice and the selected procurement strategy and giving advice on the most appropriate procurement route and associated documentation.
• Overseeing the quantification and costing of construction works including preparing estimates and cost plans, producing tender and contract documentation, elemental analyses, benchmarking data, schedules of works, bills of quantities, valuing works for interim payments, change management and final accounts.
• Providing advice on the most appropriate form of contract to be used for main, sub and package contracts from the standard suites of contract commonly used in the industry within the region.
• Establishment of construction contracts and the mechanisms that are typically found within them.
• Financial management of a project during the pre contract and post contract construction phase, cost control procedures and reporting.
• Advising on managing risk, risk mitigation measures.
• Participate in value engineering workshops.
• Maintaining, validating and updating the unit rates and construction cost information database.
• Implement and use QS departmental Quality Assurance Procedures.
• Stay informed on various BIM and QS-related software and how they work with Revit and Navisworks and be able to extract quantities.
• Support the development and implementation of BIM within the QS department
• Provide quality control for completeness and adherence to QS process standards of all drawings and models produced by the design teams
• Lead and manage training and educational opportunities around company staff, process, software, and tools strategy
• Research emerging QS software and technologies and define use-cases for implementation within company and projects
• Create, upgrade and deployment of strategies for the Quantity Surveying department to reach an assured ISO 19650 standard.
• Ensure design processes are delivered to an assured ISO 19650 standard in line with company standards and requirements.
• Plan quantification and 5D cost estimating for projects at all stages in terms of automated take-off, derived take-off and manual take-off.
• Help with codification and specifications in response to project needs
• Put in place a series of independent internal sense checks and balances that will interrogate and support the outputs from the model
• Participate in the practice’s Digital Delivery Task Force group and ensure regular communication and coordination among BIM/Revit users.
• Report on the Quantity Surveying departments current and projected state regarding digital delivery/BIM implementation and maturity.
• Management and provision of training and continuing education as required to staff on all BIM software, processes, and new technologies through conducting internal Revit/Navisworks/AutoCAD/Takeoff and other QTO related software training sessions.
• Train and oversee the day-to-day activities of the quantity surveyors to ensure BIM standards are maintained in the creation of the Revit models and associated software.
• Provide technical orientation to New Hires regarding Digital Delivery processes and BIM tools.
• Develop automation routines in BIM to support standards and productivity.
• Linking BIM to the project Construction Supervision Phase for QTO.
• Keep up to date with the most recent technologies and industry trends in BIM by attending conferences, seminars, and workshops for BIM, bringing back learning and disseminating the information to appropriate teams.
• Identify future BIM Industry initiatives and developments.
• Identify trends and business opportunities relating to BIM. Evaluate and make recommendations regarding BIM software.
• Support and enhance the marketing of company’s digital delivery design capability through web, literature, interviews, presenting at relevant client focused conferences
• Be involved with industry organisations such as Autodesk University, BILT, AUGI and other international software user groups, UK BIM Task Force, US BIM Forum, ISO standards, Local User Groups, Local colleges, and universities for future resources etc.
Qualification & Requirements:
• Western educated with BSc Quantity Surveying or Commercial Management
• MRICS qualified or enrolled APC candidate and demonstrably working towards APC within 6 months
• 8-10 years Quantity Surveying experience in a consultancy environment or similar client facing experience.
• 5+ years’ experience in BIM
• Experience in both pre and post contract QS Services
• Ability to successfully manage and lead a small team of QS’s
• Provide guidance and/or mentorship to junior team members.
• Ability to oversee multiple concurrent deliverables, develop internal and external relationships, establish cross-team collaboration.
• Capable of managing multiple priorities to maintain a balance between day-to-day operations and deliverables.
• Tracking and reporting on progress of deliverables and team outputs.
• Demonstrated ability to incorporate BIM philosophy into QS team’s work and function.
• Experience of large project execution including experience of 3D Model / BIM environment.
• Experience in relevant QS software in areas of implementation, practice, and development (Autodesk Takeoff, Cost OS, Cost X, Revit, Navisworks, Civils 3D, AutoCAD, and related Building Information Modelling software).
• Excellent written and spoken English.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Propel Consult delivers a service in step with the needs of both our client companies and candidates. Our ability to add value to all levels of recruitment stems from our wholehearted belief in providing a professional service to both parties. We have built relationships with many leading indigenous and mulitnational organisations throughout the Middle East and internationally in countries such as UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Egypt and many more. Concentrating our resources has created 5 distinct specialist divisions:
- Banking & Finance
- Human Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Architecture & Engineering