JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
Scope and Objectives
The position is responsible for supervising the overall culinary operation, hygiene and food safety standards and to maintain high standards of quality of food offering. Main responsibilities will include, but not limited to, achieving targets such as P&L Budget and Forecast, adhering to HACCP and ECH Food Safety standards, food quality and guest satisfaction.
Our appearance is a statement of who we are. Our grooming should create a professional image at work that is why our every team member needs to follow the grooming standards at all the time.
- Responsible for the quality of all food served throughout the restaurants and banquet and ensures that the food presented to guests is consistently of high-quality standards.
- To constantly be alert on freshness, presentations and temperature of food served
- Planning, co-ordination and supervision of all menu implementations.
- Guides respective Chef in charge of the outlet in creating and developing new dishes and recipes by keeping up with the latest market trends.
- Supervises all food tasting sessions.
- To be profitable and cost conscious and needs to be responsible about the daily requisitioning of all perishable and non-perishable food items.
- Guides respective Chef in charge of the outlet constantly finding ways to further improve the food cost through strategic purchasing and working process, without negatively affecting pre- determined quality standards.
- Be responsible and accountable for the overall food cost as well as non-food costs such as kitchen supplies, energy costs, utensils and operating guest supplies.
- Controls and ensures that expenses/purchases/requisitions are within budget limits and maintains food gross profit set by the hotel
- Ensures food portioning, serving, requisitions and receiving from stores are properly controlled to minimise wastage, in line with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Demonstrates management abilities and knowledge relating to budget matters such as Labor Costs, Training Expenses, Operating Equipment and Food Cost etc.
HYGIENE AND SANITATION
- Ensures a professional running of his/her kitchens and has to ensure that agreed quality, hygiene and other standards are kept or surpassed at all times in line HACCP and local authorities' standards.
- Communication of local requirements, food sanitation laws, safety regulations and other to all staff.
- Ensures the grooming and hygiene practices of colleagues are in line with Raffles Hotel Singapore and Singapore Food Safety Agency (SFA) standards.
- Ensures Deputy Executive Chef and Director of Food Safety conduct weekly kitchen walk-through with respective departments and ensure that the kitchen sanitation and Engineering maintenance and standards are met. Ensures all findings are solved and closed.
- Ensures that any opened kitchen concept in the hotel is well organized and presentable at any given time.
- To be careful in preventing the usage of spoiled or contaminated products in any phrase of food preparation and prevents employees who are ill or suffering from an infection from taking part in the preparation or handling of food.
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP OF THE CULINARY TEAM
Responsible for the day to day culinary operation in the hotel.
- Provides leadership, training and supervision on all production in the kitchens and oversees the quality as well as timely distribution of the food product originating from the kitchen.
- Influences the skills, knowledge, attitude, communications and team spirit of the whole culinary operation in the hotel.
- Constantly strives to improve kitchen operating procedures.
- Proposes and initiates when approved, new services and products for our guests.
- Ensures disciplinary and grievance procedures are properly adhered to and followed.
- Be aware of and comply with all legislation affecting the operation, including licensing regulations, health regulations and fire and safety regulations.
- Ensures that positive working relations with other departments are fostered giving co-operation at all times.
- Fosters positive thinking and motivation by giving active assistance and advice on more effective ways of running the kitchens.
- Supervises the work of the colleagues and viewed as approachable, fair when dealing with all the Chefs on all culinary matters at all times.
- Assigns in detail specific duties to all colleagues, instruct them in their work and communicate with Executive Chef on all aspects of the kitchen management.
- Liaises with all departments to ensure a correct and professional operation is conducted. Ensures all colleagues are on time at all times and that proper disciplinary action is taken when the policies of the culinary division are not followed.
- Coordinates all outlet functions with Events Team and Chef-In-Charge to ensure maximum efficiency and use of facilities, food and colleagues' productivity.
- Ensures smooth and effective communication among the kitchens and with other departments.
- Evaluates the performance of the kitchen colleagues and give Hotel Manager any recommendations for promotions or other actions
- Works with the Talent and Culture Department on hiring of colleagues.
- Attends daily operation meeting at 9am and all other meetings, which fall under his/her jurisdiction, follow directives given and advises Hotel Manager on topics of importance.
- Ensures that daily line-up is conducted within respective outlet.
- Ensures that all deadlines are met.
- Monitors and schedules annual leave in a timely and effective manner, with the best intent of outlet / colleagues.
TRAINING, LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT OF CULINARY TEAM
- Stream lines all training requirements and co-ordinates all arrangements for proper execution of instructions.
- Ensures Deputy Executive Chef conducts training regularly for colleagues to develop their skills/new menu items. Records and submits monthly On-the-Job Training hours to Chef's Office before the 15th of each month.
- Guides the departmental orientation for new hires.
- Ensures that colleagues are aware of hotel rules and regulations.
- Works closely with Director of Food Safety and Security, to ensure that colleagues are trained on fire and safety, emergency procedures and hygiene.
- Builds guest loyalty and to develop to a professional relationship with regular guests and patrons.
- Continually improves product and obtain feedback from guest and patrons.
- Handles customer comments and complaints and take swift corrective action after consultation with the department head concerned.
- Performs any other reasonable duties as required by the Hotel Manager from time to time.
- To uphold Accor Hotels values of Guest Passion, Trust, Sustainable Performance, Spirit of Conquest, Innovation and Respect, when undertaking any tasks and in any internal and external interactions.
- Follows sustainable procedures and practices that support 'Planet 21' initiatives (Accor's Corporate Social Responsibility program).
Main Complexity/Critical issues in the Job
- Working with an international and diverse team.
- Managing a pre-opening and opening of a new restaurant with high volume of covers and associated challenges.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum Professional Certificate in a Culinary-related field.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in the Food & Beverage industry in a similar position, preferably in a reputable establishment or celebrity chef restaurant.
- Proficient in written and conversational English.
- Accustomed to and comfortable with media exposure.
- Pre-opening experience preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of International cuisine.
- He has to be familiar with local requirements and sanitation regulations.
- Technical knowledge and job skills training related to all International food served at the hotel and the effective use of provided materials.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with all levels of colleagues.
- Service oriented with an eye for details.
- Multicultural awareness and able to work and thrive within a culturally diverse environment.
- Good presentation and influencing skills.
- Flexible and able to embrace and respond to change effectively.
- Ability to work independently and has good initiative under dynamic environment.
- Self-motivated and energetic.
- Leads to constantly improve the guest and colleague service experience.
- Leadership skills required - collaborative, enabling, and entrepreneurial.
- Demonstrates sophistication, humbleness, personality, charisma, confidence, professional etiquette and competencies.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
A caring employer providing respect, training and career development for our employees. An attractive employer offering more than 100 professions across the 5 continents.
We are much more than a world leader. We are 250,000 hoteliers with the same shared passion for welcoming. We take care of millions of guests in our 4,300 addresses and on our digital platforms. As an operator and franchisor (HotelServices), owner and investor (HotelInvest), we invest all our energy into making "Feel Welcome" resonate as the finest hotel promise.
From luxury to economy and in every corner of the globe, AccorHotels' more than 20 brands meet all the needs of business and leisure travelers seeking comfort, attention and high-quality services.