JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
Position: Joint Ventures Manager
Section: Commercial & Business Development
Company : Nakilat
Location : Doha, Qatar
Job Summary and Purpose
Lead the Joint Ventures department for effective management and operation of all of the organization’s LNG joint ventures and to ensure the protection of the organization’s and shareholder’s interests. Along with this, focus also on objectives such as cost effectiveness of operations, implementation of best practices and compliance with shareholders agreement.
• Contribute to the formulation of the divisional strategy in alignment with Nakilat strategy, and support its implementation.
• Participate in translating the divisional strategy into annual operational business plans, and ensure their implementation, as well as follow up their progress, and take corrective actions as needed.
Joint Venture Management:
• Ensure that the joint ventures into which Nakilat enters with various international companies, returns the best interests that are aligned with those of Nakilat.
• Ensure consistency between all the joint ventures in terms of ship performance, projects, initiatives, operating costs, refit specifications and crew competencies.
• Supervise a team to work with the joint venture ship managers on operational and technical issues that are experienced on board the ships until the incident is successfully closed.
• Set the targets to be achieved for the department related to the joint ventures to ensure that short and medium term business targets are met along with regulatory requirements.
• Participate in preparation of the joint venture board meeting materials and ensure that the same is disseminated prior to the meeting. Ensure that all members are aware of any pending issues and the same is discussed in the meeting.
• Prepare regular reports and make presentations on finance and administrative activities to the joint venture partners, board members and senior management of Nakilat.
• Conduct frequent discussions and meetings with joint venture partners to address important issues.
• Provide support in negotiating new agreements and generating commercial breakthrough solutions.
• Develop, prepare and conduct with minimum supervision, complex analysis and reporting on the finance and administrative activities of the company and its joint venture partners.
• Administer shareholder agreements and other corporate agreements as they relate to the various joint venture partners of the organization.
Third Party Interactions:
• Manage interactions with charterers on behalf of third party vessel managers. These interactions are related to discussions on operational issues, legal disputes, underperformance etc.
• Manage department staff and teams by overseeing their performance management, recruitment, training and development to ensure high levels of engagement and competence.
• Contribute to managing change in own team by providing inputs for and taking part in change initiatives, programmes and projects that are aligned with the best practice.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
• Oversee and ensure compliance with all relevant QHSE policies, procedures and controls across the Joint Venture department to ensure that Nakilat provides safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Budgets and Plans:
• Prepare the Joint Venture department budget, and monitor its expenditure, while ensuring the optimal utilization of all available resources to protect the interests of Nakilat.
Systems and Processes:
• Develop the Joint Venture department policies, procedures and systems and ensure their proper implementation to support the achievement of the different set targets and plans and hence the Nakilat strategy.
• Oversee all matters, both administrative and operational related to joint ventures.
• Develop and maintain long term relationships with important maritime industry bodies, customers and suppliers to try and maximize support for the organization’s strategy and plans.
• Benchmark the performance of all the joint venture vessel managers and report the same to the senior management so as to enable them to make informed decisions.
• Ensure cost optimization across the joint venture companies for new projects.
• Manage the database of common failures and major operational issues experienced on board the joint venture LNG vessels.
• Carry out any other duties as directed by the immediate supervisor.
Key Result Areas
• Preserve Nakilat’s interest in its involvement in various JVs initiatives.
• Conduct accurate and effective J V performance analysis and reporting.
• Develop the Joint Venture department policies and systems and set per romance targets
Qualifications, Experience and Job Skills
• Degree in International Trade or Business is essential
• Masters’ degree in Business or International Trade would be advantageous
• Minimum of 10 - 15 years’ experience in maritime organization, the last 5 years of which must be in a leadership role, such as that of a Manager or Head of an energy related business unit
• Prior experience in the LNG sector is required
• Prior experience of dealing with multiple international JV operations and exposure is essential; however, specific experience of the Middle East is not required
Job Specific Skills:
• Maritime background in an energy related sector would be preferred
• Previous experience of developing business in the energy sector on an international scale is required
• Able to read and evaluate company accounts
• Knowledge of financial procedures associated with the oil & gas industry in particular joint venture accounting
• Good understanding of oil & gas service contracts and procedures
• Strong experience in managing third party negotiations
• Expertise in tender procedures and practices
• Strong understanding of the legal/contractual and commercial aspects of joint ventures
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Qatar Gas Transport Company Ltd. (known as Nakilat, which means carriers in Arabic) is a Qatari-listed shipping company established by the State of Qatar to own, operate and manage LNG vessels and to provide shipping and marine-related services to a range of participants within the Qatari hydrocarbon sector. Nakilat is an integral component of the supply chain of some of the largest, most advanced energy projects in the world undertaken by Qatar Petroleum, Qatargas, RasGas and their joint venture partners for the State of Qatar.
Nakilat was established in 2004 and is a joint stock company owned 50% by its founding shareholders and 50% by the public. Nakilat owns 54 LNG vessels, making it the largest LNG ship owner in the world. Our fleet of vessels transport LNG produced from Qatars North Field, the worlds largest non-associated gas field with approximately 15% of the worlds total proven reserves to global markets. These vessels, ordered from Korean shipyards, incorporate the latest technology for safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation of LNG.