JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
- This position shall manage engineering activities for the projects to ensure that targets are met and progress is delivered for client-managed Projects.
- Provide engineering support related to the Project.
- Draft, review or recommend any engineering-related documents as required.
- Review and ensure that engineering principles are incorporated and applied.
- Identify, develop, and promote Programme and Project required engineering policies.
- Provide progress reports as and when required.
- Attendance at relevant meetings.
- Provide support to managers where required
- Provide regular progress reports and elevate issues to the Authority.
- Manages the day-to-day operational & contract aspects of projects.
- Responsible for providing feedback regarding project progress, deviations, and changes, and ensuring that the projects are delivered to Client Standards.
- Responsible for taking possession of the site (site possession), arranging pre-start kick-off meetings, and ROs. Provides any necessary approvals officially to the Consultant.
- Review and approve project control system which measures the progress/performance, provides early warning of deviations from plan, and identifies corrective actions to be taken.
- Monitors in liaison with the traffic unit traffic diversions to ensure they are effective and safe.
- Ensures that quality control and safety plan compliance are implemented and maintained to QCS & Client Specifications in coordination with the Quality Department.
- Reviews deliverables across projects to minimize exposure and risk.
- Manages scope and achieves goals set for the projects and confronts any issues quickly.
- Ensures the timely handover (delivery) of the project.
- Certification of progress claims submitted by the consultants and contractors.
- Prepare and submit reports to senior management on work progress status.
- Inspects the construction sites regularly to ensure conformance to design specifications and adherence to quality.
- Interprets, explains, and enforces regulations and policies, and then communicates with the construction team regarding any possible changes to plans and problem resolution.
- Ensures that consultants and contractors produce regular reports on damages, accidents, delays, bad weather, and other emergencies.
- Ensures contractors observe applicable safety rules and regulations. Identifies non-compliances and suggests corrective actions with consultants and contractors.
- Monitor and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Actively encourages effective communication and coordination on assigned projects between all disciplines and all other project participants.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling, conducting, and coordinating the technical and management aspects of projects.
- Actively leads the team, requests project progress updates, and arranges and chairs technical and coordination meetings.
- Manage and review the performance of various consultants and contractors in terms of engineering.
- Review and recommend various designs throughout the lifetime of a project.
- Apply international design standards across various projects.
- Experience in technical reviews and in design coordination; also experience in technical design software.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Minimum of 15 years post-graduate experience with experience in major infrastructure projects or programs, preference will be given to roads, aviation, structures, or rail-related experience.
- Experienced in the management of a team of professional staff.
- Experience working with and within government agencies or clients side generally at a senior level.
- Demonstrable history in the delivery of large multidisciplinary projects.
- In-depth knowledge of engineering procedures.
- A “rounded profile”, with experience in leading multidisciplinary engineering/design teams (the successful candidate will also be able to mobilize people and teams and by their leadership skills lead teams and secure successful deliverables).
- Effective in building good working relationships within complex structures, both internally and with various project stakeholders.
- University degree from a recognized university in an appropriate field such as Engineering or Architecture or equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of Ashghal/Government processes and procedures.
- Client-side experience
- Valid Qatar Driving License.
- Evidence of suitable professional qualification CEng or equivalent is preferable.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Arabic language skills.
- Experience of working client side as a secondee in Qatar and/or the Gulf region.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.