JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
We are seeking a Director – Design (Real Estate) Will Plan, establish and implement sound organizational and procedural plans for design and construction services. Leads, directs and develops the management team and staff of engineers, architects, and support personnel providing architectural, engineering and construction services to plan, budget, program, design, and construct facilities supporting Wayne State's research and teaching missions.
Will play a key role in overseeing and executing our design and construction projects across our portfolio of hotels and resorts. This is your chance to showcase your creativity, drive innovation, and make a lasting impact on our properties. Join us in shaping the future of hospitality design and construction!
• Establish and leads teams of customers, architect-engineer and construction firms, consultants, and City and State officials to determine requirements and develop facilities strategies consistent with customer desires and funding constraints. Directs the design, contracting and execution of new construction, renovation and major maintenance projects.
• Select, develop, and supervise a quality-focused team of in-house and out-sourced design and construction professionals in executing design, contracting, construction, and renovation programs; establish standards for quality of work performed, and monitor results to enable and ensure high performance. Manage individual performance to optimize contribution to unit objectives and university operations.
• Direct operations to accomplish required work within the customer's budget. Monitor expenditures for labor and contracts to ensure best value for the customer and compares budget and expenses to meet established unit financial goals. Anticipate changing requirements sufficiently in advance to allow the customer to adjust priorities or reprogram resources if required.
• Evaluate needs for contracted labor and services; manages in-house and contract Project Managers to ensure proper preparation of plans, specifications and contracts, and proper contractor performance.
• Continuously improves the quality of services provided by motivating and empowering employees, implementing new technology, and revising processes and standard operating procedures to improve individual and team effectiveness. Monitors results and invites customer feedback.
• Lead and serve on departmental and University-wide committees to establish and define the strategic direction of facilities to effectively support varied and diverse program initiatives.
• Responsible for all construction, field operations, and an in-house self-performing construction trades crew including Construction Technicians, Commissioning Agents, and Testing Agencies.
• Work closely with customers, Facilities Planning and Space Management, Office of Sustainability, Office of Environmental Health & Safety, Computing & Information Technology, Risk Management, City of Detroit, and Facilities Operations and Maintenance to sustain comprehensive programs and projects that effectively addresses all building needs in a way that supports their maintenance and operation.
• Meets regularly with customers to establish requirements, develop construction programs, and identify opportunities for improving services. Make regular facilities inspections.
• Conduct investigations and analyses of all service-related incidents; prepare reports and implement corrective actions.
• Coordinate the activities of other Facilities Planning and Management service units to ensure efficient delivery of all services.
• In conjunction with Plant Operations and Maintenance, develop and update design and construction standards and ensure compliance by contracted designers and contractors.
• Reviews project progress programs and drawings and attends team meetings for select third party owned and developed franchise
• Assembles and leads Project Team as required to ensure that each member can participate in decisions that affect their departments.
• Collaborate with internal stakeholders, including operations, development, and finance, to ensure projects align with business objectives
• Oversee project budgeting, scheduling, and quality control to ensure successful project delivery
• Stay up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in design and construction
• Conduct site visits and inspections to monitor project progress and ensure compliance with design and quality standards
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in Engineering or Architecture or related field from an accredited institution of higher education or combination of education and experience is required.
• Experience Expert (established subject matter expert, 10+ years’ experience) in design and construction project management,
• Significant professional experience in managing the design and construction of complex buildings. Experience managing similar operations for research intensive institutions of higher education, health care, pharmaceutical production or manufacturing preferred.
• Good understanding of and working experience with construction contract preparation, AIA document forms, construction payment applications, lien waiver review and preparation, certificates of insurance, and other construction-related documentation.
• Excellent oral and written communications with demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to interact both internally with other Company employees and team members and externally with tenants, contractors, architects, consultants, and project team members.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Talent Search Group is a staffing and recruiting firm dedicated to providing viable talent in various professions. Our primary mission is to carefully determine client staffing inefficiencies and offer hiring solutions that directly correlate to long term goals.
Talent Search Group was founded on core values such as Dependability, Integrity, and Timeliness. We take pride in the delivery of quality talent acquisition solutions to our clients. Our process is individualized. We assess both our clients and prospective candidates in order to ensure compatibility. We focus on cultivating professional relationships, networking, and attention to detail, which has greatly contributed to our success.
Our strategy is simply to solve the problem of our clients- and while that may sound like a gross oversimplification, the truth is setting that goal from the start has guided us on the path to delivering just that. The professions we currently represent are Executive Search, Management Consulting And Risk Advisory sector, Banking & Financial Services , Finance & Accounting, IT and Telecom, Aviation and Hospitality, Marketing, Retail and Sales, Education And Training Industry, FMCG / Manufacturing Industry, Legal, Mining, Oil And Gas Industry, Engineering & Manufacturing, Insurance, Procurement & Supply Chain, Construction, Real Estate, Infrastructure Industry and Human Resources.