JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team in the Engineering Department, a Project Engineer is required to combine their technical experience and knowledge for the management of Water / Wastewater Treatment Plant, pumping stations and desalination plant design by the client’s design consultants for Regional Infrastructure Water Projects.
Support the Design Project Manager in managing and delivering the design in accordance with the Programme and the requirements of the client. Coordinate and monitor the development of the design consultant’s planned activities and provide progress reports to Design Project Management, highlighting performance to plan. Plan and organize the review of the design consultant’s deliverables, interfacing with subject matter experts and design review teams. Provide quality assessment reports to Project Management and the client. Assist the Contracts Department and Construction teams in pre-construction and post contract award activities.
• Management of design activities and coordination of workloads for Water projects.
• Plan, coordinate, manage and monitor the review of design deliverables for Water projects produced by the client’s design consultant, including reports, providing feedback to the Design Project Manager regarding progress, key issues and risk.
• Coordinate and manage the design review of the design consultant’s hazard and risk logs.
• Coordinate the response to comments raised on deliverables by the likes of subject matter experts, the design review team, the Independent Checking Engineer, and Independent Safety Assessors.
• Ensure the buildability of the proposed design and suitability of materials.
• Coordinate and visit the jobsite as required, to resolve problems, interpret drawings and documents and provide technical support during the construction phase.
• Coordinate with Contracts Department and Construction teams for supporting the pre-construction procurement process and the checking and assembly of the design documentation for issue as design-build or design-bid-build tender packages as required.
• Review design and engineering studies prepared by local and international engineering firms
• Review changes or deviations in design scope, material quantities, budget or schedule, and assists particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment.
• Take an active role in design reviews, interdisciplinary design reviews and provide comments.
• Perform work that involves conventional design practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
• Provide guidance for assured design quality and compliance with the client’s requirements, design guidelines, statutory requirements, local and international codes, standards and norms, and international standards of independent firms that are carrying out the detailed design.
• Report progress, critical issues and risk to EPM design manager.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Civil/Mechanical Engineering Degree from an accredited university with 10+ years of relevant experience in design management, related to Water transmission projects.
• Experience in managing the design/installation/operation/maintenance of large-scale Water transmission systems, pumping stations and desalination plants.
• Experience in hydraulic design, modelling, surge analysis, design of large diameter pipe & valve for potable water networks.
• Experience in both design-build and design-bid-build forms of procurement with contractors and consultants
• Experience in field construction and inspection for initial acceptance.
• Knowledge of relevant codes and standards pertinent to Water Engineering.
• Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems and design calculations.
• Knowledge of current computer applications for engineering and design including appropriate knowledge of CAD (both 2-D and 3-D) e.g AutoCAD, MS Word and Excel for managing design reviews
• A professional license from a recognized licensing or registration board.
• Excellent interpersonal, analytical and communication skills (oral and written).
• Willingness to relocate to the job site in Saudi Arabia.
• Proactive, supportive, inquisitive, challenging and result driven.
• Ability to manage multiple assignments, changing priorities and work with ambiguity.
• Promote the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.