JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
Field mechanical engineering position in construction management. Application of mechanical engineering expertise in HVAC, Fire Protection and Plumbing. Owner’s Engineer position representing the Royal Commission. Responsible for review and approval of mechanical submittals, including plumbing pumps and piping systems (drain waste & vent, domestic water), fire protection (pumps, piping, sprinkler heads), HVAC systems (VAV boxes, duct work, process piping, chiller systems, controls, building management system). Provides technical guidance to contractors and utilizes his subject matter expertise to ensure that the permanent works are constructed per the contract in accordance with applicable codes, standards, approved drawings and specifications, budget and schedule.
Reports directly to the Senior Resident Construction Manager (SRCM) for the Construction Department, to receive administrative and technical direction in terms of project objectives. Interfaces with other Royal Commission Departments, End Users and occasionally with senior management and client representatives. Daily contacts with Contractors’ on-site structural and management staff.
Major Activities Performed
• Monitors construction Contractors’ mechanical installation and testing activities, including, but not limited to piping, leak tests, duct work & insulation, pumps, building management system, HVAC controls, domestic water systems, foundation de-watering system, etc.
• Assists Contractor with coordination of the MEP process, including the development of coordinated slab penetration drawings, MEP ceiling and wall coordination, coordination of condensate drain systems, power & control wiring coordination, fire pump powering and controlling through the Fire Alarm Control Panel Systems, concrete pad and isolation requirements.
• Witnesses Contractors’ quality control inspections to ensure that the permanent works are constructed according to the contract, applicable codes, standards, approved drawings and specifications (i.e. leak detection, equipment startup and commissioning).
• Reviews Contractor-submitted shop and as-built drawings, materials submittals, tie-in procedures, project schedules, and work permits; and assists SRCM in obtaining their approval and/or comments.
• Reviews Contractors’ mechanical quality assurance and quality control programs, inspection and test plans, installation, testing, and as-built procedures, for all mechanical systems and comments for transmittal to the contractors.
• Arranges meetings between the Contractor and concerned departments/organizations to resolve interfacing problems during construction.
• Organizes, coordinates, and conducts in conjunction with the concerned departments/organizations acceptance inspections and re-inspections of the completed permanent works, until all deficiencies are corrected and signed off.
• Assists the Project Controls Cost Engineer, or Contract Administrator, by reviewing Contractors’ invoices for correctness of installed quantities for the structural portion of the permanent works.
• Attends regularly scheduled meetings between the Construction team and the Contractor.
• Initiates and prepares for SRCM draft mechanical related letters, memos or reports to Contractors and other Departments.
Experience and Qualifications
• B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering. A Mechanical Engineering Degree with extensive Mechanical experience will also be considered.
• Minimum of 10 years of field or design experience in structural work, preferably for high-rise building works:
- Building HVAC systems, including air handlers, ductwork, temperature control systems, chillers, VAV systems.
- Building management systems.
- Fire protection systems, including fire pump, piping, heads, Fire Alarm Control Panel systems, RPZ systems, drain systems.
- Domestic plumbing systems, including chlorination, back flow prevention, domestic water pumps, piping, testing, trim, hot water tanks, drain waste & vent piping installation & testing.
- MEP coordination work, including slab penetration coordination.
• Experience with:
- Construction and building drawings
- Shop drawings and Material submittal reviews and approvals
- Appropriate mechanical code knowledge
- Construction sequencing & methodology
- Familiarity with International Building Code (IBC)
- Familiarity with NFPA 101, 13 and other important criteria.
• Must have or be able to obtain Saudi Driver’s License
• Must be fluent and be able to effectively communicate in both spoken and written English.
• Knowledge of computers and basic software applications: MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), read construction schedules (Primavera).
• AutoCAD is a benefit, but not a requirement.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.