JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
At Stantec, we approach every project as a partnership, because our work creates a lasting impact on our clients’ communities. We believe that when smart, passionate, creative people come together, real possibilities are within reach.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; they give our work purpose. If you want to be a part of our unwavering team and can bring your sense of imagination and determination to every challenge, then this is the right place for you.
Due to the continued success of our Middle East operations, we are looking for a Resident Engineer for our Abu Dhabi operations.
The Resident Engineer will lead development of the strategy, design and implementation of an enhanced SCADA control environment. The Resident Engineer position will be responsible for the following:
• In close collaboration with the client designs, documents, and manages implementation of essential SCADA control systems and components for drainage utility networks and recycled water networks. Provides appropriate and timely technical advice on matters relating to SCADA and control systems.
• Acts as the lead problem solver in incorporating industry standards and modern technology into the SCADA design.
• Provides review/comments on electrical engineering control system drawings such as site location instrumentation layout drawings, SCADA control room layout drawings, control schematic diagrams, wired/wireless protocol designs, control and logic diagrams, and control system equipment.
• Acts as the client’s representative in design meetings with consultants and contractors and suggests solutions and recommendations in evolving a standard design philosophy. Coordinates with consultants in preparation of method statements related to SCADA works.
• Develops, establishes and upgrades SCADA design and implementation standards, with periodic reviews to ensure the client remains current with evolving SCADA design methods.
• Reviews control systems architecture, material submittals & design drawings for the entire SCADA system including site locations and the central control room.
• Reviews and validates PLC/SCADA software programs, logic, operation & functionality.
• Plans and suggests strategic recommendations and improvements for SCADA system.
• 4 year engineering degree (Electrical, Electronic or similar) or equivalent. Professional Engineer certification is preferred.
• 10+ years experience in designing, implementing and/or managing SCADA control systems and components in the 24x7 continuous process drainage, sewer or water utility industry.
• Hands-on experience in the design of SCADA systems and demonstrable work experience on at least 4 major SCADA projects with a minimum of 3 major SCADA projects.
• Demonstrable knowledge of structured programming, SCADA communication techniques and protocols. Knowledge and application of all instrumentation related standards, codes and regulations; working knowledge of DCS, PLC and SCADA/HMI control system software, hardware and architecture.
• Wonderware experience is preferred.
• Knowledge of profibus, Modbus, OPC & industrial Ethernet networks are mandatory.
• Expert Knowledge of database & reporting tools are mandatory. Knowledge of fiber optics installations and Cisco Firewalls/routers/switches in the automation network layer is mandatory. SIEMENS PLC/SCADA and Honeywell PLC/Experion DCS experience preferred.
• Developed interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to interact effectively with multicultural teams.
• Ability to work effectively and diligently as an individual and team member to resolve complex faults on critical equipment.
• Ability to prepare and present technical and non-technical documentation.
• Proven ability to perform in a key technical leadership role, good written and oral communications skills, and a thorough knowledge of industry practices and regulations are also required. In addition, must be knowledgeable of current technology and how it can be effectively utilized on the project.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Communities are fundamental. Whether around the corner or across the globe, they provide a foundation, a sense of place and of belonging. That’s why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind.
We care about the communities we serve—because they’re our communities too. This allows us to assess what’s needed and connect our expertise, to appreciate nuances and envision what’s never been considered, to bring together diverse perspectives so we can collaborate toward a shared success.
We’re designers, engineers, scientists, and project managers, innovating together at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. Balancing these priorities results in projects that advance the quality of life in communities across the globe.