JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
This role can be based in Munich or Dubai
Amazon Web Services () is looking for Database Solutions Architects for our customers in EMEA Emerging Markets. If you have experience in designing database platforms, leveraging platforms such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL or other database engines, and are interested in helping customers embrace technologies, come and talk to us. Specialist Solutions Architects work with ' partners and customers to accelerate their transformation. They engage in a wide range of activities around their domain of expertise, providing technical advice to customers, helping the internal and external communities, presenting publicly on their domain, and providing a preferred path between service teams and customers.
This is an opportunity to join Amazon’s technical teams, working with our engineers on the new services that power the ecosystem, while developing your skills and furthering your career within what we believe to be one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies. These engagements will focus on database and data warehousing. This role will specifically focus on Services for Databases, and on helping our customers and partners build innovative Solutions and Businesses that focus on leveraging the value of data.
As a Database Specialist Solutions (SA), you will help customers select the technologies that will support their business requirements. Part of the Specialist Solutions Architecture team, you will work closely with the other Specialist SAs on Big Data, Databases, Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, or Security, as well as the Business Development teams, to enable large-scale customer use cases and drive the adoption of for their platforms. You will interact with other SAs, providing guidance on their customer engagements by developing white papers, blogs, reference implementations, and presentations to enable customers and 3rd parties to fully leverage the platform. You will also create field enablement materials for the broader SA population, to help them understand how to integrate solutions into customer architectures.
Candidates have a mix of communication and technical skills, and will have the ability to engage with customers at different levels in the organization, from executive to developer. Previous experience with is desired but not required, provided you have experience building large scale solutions. You will get the opportunity to work directly with senior engineers at customers, partners and service teams, influencing their roadmaps and driving innovation.
If you are someone who enjoys innovating, likes solving hard problems and working on the cutting edge of technology, we would love to have you on the team.
Amazon's Culture Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We have 14 leadership principles that help guide us in our every-day decision making process. We believe they are a clearer articulation of those things that have always been a part of what makes Amazon great – things that we must consciously hold on to in fulfilling our mission to be Earth’s Most Customer Centric Company. We are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy and happy lives. It is always Day One.
How You’ll Grow at Amazon, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn and develop your career. We offer opportunities to help sharpen your skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
• Customers' trusted advisor: collaborate with account, training and support teams to help partners and customers learn and use services such as Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS), Redshift, DynamoDB, DocumentDB, Neptune, or Database Migration Service
• Business partner: serve as a key member of the business development and account management team in helping to ensure customer success in building and migrating applications, software and services on the platform.
• Public engagement: provide thought leadership on Analytics solutions that benefit customers through the use of Services. This takes the form of contribution to external publications such as the Blogs, Whitepapers and Reference architectures, or public presentations at Summits, re:Invent, User Groups or industry events
• Community player: capture and share best-practices, participate, and contribute as a member of the worldwide technical community of Solution Architects, Professional Services Consultants, Technical Account Managers, and Trainers
• Service team point of contact: act as a conduit between the Service teams and the customers, providing detailed guidance for the broader field organization and the customers, and acting as an advocate for the customers towards the central teams
• Proven experience on commercial or open source database technologies (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Databases, IBM DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Amazon Databases), and on different stages of the lifecycle (Schema Design, Query Tuning and Optimization, Data Migration and Integration, operational management or troubleshooting)
• Ability to learn new concepts and technologies, and apply them to provide the best business outcomes for customers
• Ability to formulate and communicate ideas clearly in a business environment, including presenting in front of varied internal and external audiences
• Business fluent English is required for customer interactions, internal communication, and collaboration with the worldwide teams
• Technical degree in computer science, math, or engineering such as a Master's degree
• Hands on experience leading large-scale database projects, such as projects in the software development or Internet industries
• Hands on experience as a database or data warehouse developer. Scripting/programming experience in database related fields
• Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB or Apache Cassandra
• Understanding of application, server, and network security
• Deep understanding of the technical and use case differences between OLTP, OLAP, in-memory, columnar, and MPP data stores and their impact on application design and performance
• Understanding of security practices related to data ingestion, storage, analysis and visualization
• Track record of implementing services in a variety of business environments such as large enterprises and start-ups. Certifications, e.g. Solutions Associate/Professional
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. We are driven by the excitement of building technologies, inventing products, and providing services that change lives. We embrace new ways of doing things, make decisions quickly, and are not afraid to fail. We have the scope and capabilities of a large company, and the spirit and heart of a small one.