JOB DESCRIPTION / ROLE
Sofitel Dubai the Obelisk is Sofitel's largest property in the Middle East. The hotel features 595 luxury guestrooms inclusive of 68 suites and 97 serviced apartments in the heart of Dubai. A variety of trendy restaurants and bars including a contemporary Asian restaurant, a Gastro Pub, a French Brasserie and Pool Bar & Lounge bring residents and patrons together to celebrate the French "Joie de Vivre". Guests have the option to unwind at the Sofitel Spa with L'Occitane and outdoor pools with private cabanas or workout in a fully-fledged fitness center. Business travelers have access to 1,589 square meter of meeting space including one state-of-the-art ballroom ideal for the most sought after social gatherings.
Part of the Wafi Mall new extension and close to the iconic Raffles Dubai, Sofitel Dubai the Obelisk will infuse the brand's essence with capitalizing on a perfect balance of modernism and ancient Egypt reflective of the renowned design elements of Wafi. If you are as excited as we are about connecting hearts and showing your guest passion, join us as the next Heartist - Sous Chef and help us to make Sofitel Dubai the Obelisk a truly welcoming destination!
To ensure the smooth operation of the department in charge by optimizing the use of materials and manpower, thereby maximizing revenue and guest satisfaction. To coordinate and execute training of Kitchen staff and be able to motivate staff.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To report for duty punctually wearing the correct uniform and name badges at all times
- To assist the Executive Chef in the supervision of all employees
- To attend daily meetings with the Executive Chef regarding daily operation.
- To hold a daily and monthly meeting with the kitchen staff and report to the Executive Chef.
- To establish culinary standards specific to the hotel which meet the needs of the target market.
- To develop menus and standard recipes that allows the restaurant to run at the budgeted food cost and test samples in conjunction with the Executive Chef.
- To write specific and accurate product specifications and standard recipes for use in the computer and by the Materials Manager.
- To use, wherever possible, locally and seasonally available products in menus and "specials".
- To inspect daily, all fresh food received to ensure the quality is maintained.
- To inspect daily all food stores and refrigerated areas and suggest, where necessary, correct storage methods to comply with Health & Safety regulations, to avoid spoilage and ensure regular turnover of food items and give completed check lists to the Executive Chef.
- To check on a daily basis food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control.
- In conjunction with the Executive Chef, establish job methods and supervise on a regular basis, and correct if necessary, cooking standards to maintain a high quality of food and service on quality basis.
- During service periods, to personally run the hot pass and assist when needed and to ensure that the presentation as well as quality of the food is in accordance with the established standards.
- To liase with the Chief Steward in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the kitchen, such as machinery, small Kitchen equipment, floors and fridges, to ensure a sufficient supply of crockery and cutlery for the service and the banqueting department.
- To plan rosters on a weekly basis and to review on a daily basis with the Executive Chef, overtime, rosters and holiday requirements and absenteeism.
- To report accidents and sickness in the log Book and to report any such incidents to the Executive Chef on a daily basis.
- To report any problems regarding failure of machinery and small equipment to the Executive Chef and to follow up and ensure the necessary work has been carried out.
- To instruct on the correct usage of Kitchen equipment and machinery and to check that this is carried out in the correct manner by all Kitchen employees as set out by the Health & Safety regulations and correct the usage if necessary.
- To ensure that the standards set by the Company's Policy and Procedures regarding personal hygiene are maintained by all Kitchen staff.
- To ensure that the daily logbook is utilized, and complaints are immediately reported to the Executive Chef.
- To maintain a material checklist e.g. mise-en-place within own department for all sections.
- To check daily each section in own department to ensure work has been carried out in the proper manner.
- To check daily function sheets within Main Board.
- To pass all information to late shift
- To maintain all hotel records and forms as prescribed by local hotel management and policies.
- To follow operating standards on the use of the computer.
- To develop standard recipes which allow the kitchen department to operate at an acceptable food cost.
- To maximize employee productivity in order to minimize payroll costs.
- To monitor operating costs and take corrective action when necessary to reduce expenses.
- To identify market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and the local Market.
- To monitor and analyze the menus and product of competitive banqueting operations.
- To develop menus, buffets (where applicable) and "specials" which meet the needs of the target market and are in line with the operating concept for the restaurant.
- To assist the Executive Chef in interviewing and recruiting staff for the kitchen.
- To plan and implement effective skills training programmes in conjunction with the Training Manager and Departmental Trainers.
- To maximize employee productivity and morale and consistently maintain discipline following hotel guidelines and local legislation.
- To hold a regular training session and keep records about it.
- To instruct on the correct usage of Kitchen equipment and machinery and to check that is carried out in the correct manner by all Kitchen employees as set out by the Health & Safety regulations and correct the usage if necessary.
- The above description is not to be regarded as exhaustive. Other tasks and responsibilities of a broadly comparable nature may be added on a temporary or permanent basis as appropriate.
- Physically fit
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Knowledge of other languages and basic understanding of local language preferred
- Must have strong culinary experience (international preferred)
- Excellent leadership & supervisory skills with a "hands-on" approach
- Positive attitude and high energy level
- Motivator & self starter; displays initiative & creativity
- Team player and team builder
- Flexible & adaptable to different working locations
- Finance knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS :
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language
- Second language preferred.
- High school graduate.
- Good leadership, training, motivation and communication skills.
EXPE RI ENCE
- 8 - 10 years experience in cooking and supervision.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
A caring employer providing respect, training and career development for our employees. An attractive employer offering more than 100 professions across the 5 continents.
We are much more than a world leader. We are 250,000 hoteliers with the same shared passion for welcoming. We take care of millions of guests in our 4,300 addresses and on our digital platforms. As an operator and franchisor (HotelServices), owner and investor (HotelInvest), we invest all our energy into making "Feel Welcome" resonate as the finest hotel promise.
From luxury to economy and in every corner of the globe, AccorHotels' more than 20 brands meet all the needs of business and leisure travelers seeking comfort, attention and high-quality services.
Find Top Talent
Other jobs you might be interested inTrainee Jobs in Dubai
Receptionist Jobs in Dubai
Operations Manager Jobs in Dubai