Job description / Role
• To apply well-developed vocational electrical skills to deliver safe, efficient Power Supply with no interruptions
• Apply electrical trade skills to deliver safe, efficient Power Supply to smelter site with no interruptions. With support,
• trouble-shoot to maximize reliability and availability of Power supply
• Participate in the daily safe start and Shift Hand-over meeting to understand the status of the Plant, safety issues and Shift priorities
• Review the Logs to identify issues which require action, monitoring or inspection.
• Inspect the Plant. Identify irregularities and take action
• Monitor the Plant and equipment within the Smelter area and report the status to the Supervisor.
• Action the Plant routines including taking readings (flow meter, temperature ,pressure)
• In consultation with the Planner and Anlayst, execute non-routine operational tasks (eg: action isolations, shut-downs, change-overs) and maintenance tasks (eg: change fans and pumps)
• Under direction from the Supervisor, action tasks to address problems or to maximize the Plant efficiency (eg: tasks to resolve Rectifier or 33KV trip)
• Operate and maintain Low and Medium Voltage equipment, up to and including 33kV
• Achieve competence to operate the Plant from Local and RTS L1 and L2 systems
• Carry out isolation and lockouts according to standards, when certified to do so
• Action emergency breakdown repairs to minimize downtime
• Execute planned, predictive and preventative maintenance in the Low, Medium and
• High Voltage fields to ensure the plant operates at maximum capacity and efficiency.
• Provide 1st line technical support to the other Plant Areas
• Must be capable of handling crisis and emergency situations under the Supervision of Senior Personnel.
• Action the SA Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) procedures to ensure safety and compliance
• Continuously action the SA EHS procedures
• Apply the SA authorisation and escalation procedures, for example:
• Define the protected areas and work areas and issue authorization or work permits.
• Inform the department Supervisor immediately of any accidents or unforeseen problems
• Learn and apply the SA housekeeping principles and procedures (5S) to maintain the work areas and tool storages in a safe, efficient condition.
• Must be competent to lockout and tag out LV, MV equipment
• Hands on experience of High power rectifier system and plant distribution.
• Must be competent to lockout and tag out LV, MV ,HV equipment.
• Should have basic knowledge of testing of HV equipment.
• Should be able to understand the electrical drawing & schematic.
• Diploma in Electrical Engineering with 2 years of relevant experience
• English language: Good verbal English; the ability to read and understand technical documents in English
• EHS: The capacity to learn and continuously execute the basic2 EHS policies and procedures which are required in a heavy industrial environment
• SAP: Intermediate. The Job Holder is required to action transactions in the Plant Maintenance modules of SAP (eg: create reservations, raise requisitions to procure materials, create closure). The Job Holder must also use the basic
• SAP functions, including maintenance notifications and leave requests in SAP
About the Company
Sohar Aluminium was formed in September 2004 to undertake a landmark Greenfield aluminium smelter project in the Sultanate of Oman and is jointly owned by Oman Oil Company, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company PJSC - TAQA and Rio Tinto.
By implementing decades of industry insight in its design, specification and construction Sohar Aluminium has been created to ensure efficiency, environmental protection and the utmost safety of its workforce. The smelter has an annual production capacity of 375,000 tonnes of high quality Aluminium.
Omanisation, which currently stands at 72% of its workforce, is a driving force within the organisation. The development of its young employees is paramount and with that in mind, Sohar Aluminium has its own internationally recognised training centre which gives each and every employee the opportunity for further learning.